PDA

View Full Version : arts and crafts bookcase

Jeff Hallam
04-02-2008, 6:07 PM
Here is my latest project of many months. A similar bookcase was shown in a FWW mag a little while ago and I just made up my own dimensions based on the pic. I used mostly QSWO although I am disappointed with the lack of "pop" from the figure. I must be doing something wrong in the finishing process. The side panels were re-sawn on my 14" Delta BS. I haven't doen too much re-sawing, overall I was happy but I will leave myself more room for flattening after. Joinery is M&T. The back is ship lapped Ash. The main shelves are adjustable brass pins that are located on the internal face of the legs. Finish is "light fumed oak" aniline dye with wipe on poly over top.

This unit replaces some el cheapo brand melamine covered PB that were sagging and falling apart. LOML is very happy.

Thanks for looking.

Jeff

Von Bickley
04-02-2008, 6:49 PM
Great looking bookcase.....:)

Tony De Masi
04-02-2008, 6:54 PM
Very nice project Jeff. I wonder if the dye you used, I have not every used any, had anything to do with the grain not popping as you would have liked?

Tony

Dustin Thompson
04-02-2008, 8:09 PM
Jeff, looks like you have a full-time librarian there!

I love this case, looks awesome in the oak

I just did the same case out of FWW, did it in cherry, with a bit different finish than usual. I used one good coat of linseed oil, followed by three coats of bullseye sanding sealer (shellac), and then waxed and buffed.

This one has turned out fairly well for me in terms of finish. I will use this finish schedule again, for sure.

Dustin

Brian Erickson
04-02-2008, 8:25 PM
Jeff Jewitt had a nice article in FWW a ways back on staining QSWO, where he uses a water-based dye in a lighter color, then BLO, then a quick wipe/wipeoff of a darker gel stain, then a top coat. It has worked pretty well for me in getting a solid "fume" look to my pieces. For what it's worth, I think your bookcase looks really great as-is.
Brian