PDA

View Full Version : JET 708620B AFS-1000B tip

Carl Fox
04-02-2008, 5:25 PM
My jet air filtration unit arrived today (minor gloat) and the squirrel cage was out of true by almost 1/4 inch, of course. It vibrated like mad.

Now, I can balance a nickel on edge on it with it on 'high'.

Here is what to do to bodge it true:

take out the filters

take out the 4 screws holding the control panel off

take out the 6 allen screws holding the fan off.

put some packing on top of the case so you don't damage it.

Take the whole mess out as a unit and lay it on top of the case. There is a lip on the bottom of the fan case, you want that down.

Look at the bottom of the cage and rotate it slowly by hand, you will be able to clearly see the wobble.

Get a blade screwdriver and bend the 'low' side gently up.

spin again and repeat bending until it is true.

Shove everything back in. Put the cord and the control panel outside the case.

Bolt the fan in first and the bottom screws first. Once they are in
use the piece of packing that was on the bottom to hold it up a bit. Use a small phillips to align the top screw holes.

finish screwing the mess together.

Brad Townsend
04-02-2008, 6:28 PM
Or send it back and make WMH Tool Group eat the darn thing.:rolleyes:

No Carl, I don't blame you for what you did. Sometimes it's easier just to fix it yourself so you know its done right. I would have probably done the same, but it grates on me to see a company get away with lousy QC. (You aren't the first I've heard complain about this specific problem with the AFS-1000B.) As it happens, I have had the same unit for two years. I was lucky enough to get a good one. Now that you have fixed yours, you will like it very much.

Carl Fox
04-02-2008, 6:59 PM
Brad,

I read the 'horror stories' and was prepared for this. Looking at it I think the problem is that the squirrel cage is rather heavy and there is no practical way of supporting it during shipment because of the design.

I am actually glad that the cage bent instead of the motor shaft.

However, I think they would be well served to use a thicker gage of steel for the cage hub.

Now I just got to figure out a way to mount the thing. It's 24" wide, and my joists are 24" OC.

jim sauterer
04-02-2008, 7:52 PM
mine arrived yesterday after reading your problem i went out and you know i had to fire it up.luckily mine is fine in all speeds.i was wondering if you or anyone else would know if the charcoal filter would help with the smells associated with oil based stains and finishes.my shop smells for days after staining and finishing.thanks for listening.

Brad Townsend
04-02-2008, 7:55 PM
Now I just got to figure out a way to mount the thing. It's 24" wide, and my joists are 24" OC.
Maybe attaching the unit to a couple of lengths of 2 x6" long enough to cover the 24" span and lagging those into the joists? The downside is it would lower the unit a couple of inches.

Carl Fox
04-02-2008, 8:44 PM
Maybe attaching the unit to a couple of lengths of 2 x6" long enough to cover the 24" span and lagging those into the joists? The downside is it would lower the unit a couple of inches.

In a fit of sillyness I have been thinking of building an Uber-Table [tm]

Basically it would be a 4x8 torsion box to start, then it gets weird. I would build rails on the long sides that duplicate my Shop Fox Classic rails out of MDF and make a square hole and frame for my Grizzly 10' contractor saw.

So now I have a huge table for my saw (I would extend the fence, of course)

Then I would build a router station for the other side.

I could then mount my filter to the bottom.

Then I would have my TS, router station, filter, and 4x8 build table all in one. Of course DC would be built in.

I could just keep this thing plonked in the middle of my garage.

Tom Veatch
04-02-2008, 8:57 PM
...Now I just got to figure out a way to mount the thing. It's 24" wide, and my joists are 24" OC.

I put sleepers between the joists above the finished ceiling and tied the air cleaner hangars into the sleepers.

Brad Townsend
04-02-2008, 9:58 PM
In a fit of sillyness I have been thinking of building an Uber-Table [tm]

Basically it would be a 4x8 torsion box to start, then it gets weird. I would build rails on the long sides that duplicate my Shop Fox Classic rails out of MDF and make a square hole and frame for my Grizzly 10' contractor saw.

So now I have a huge table for my saw (I would extend the fence, of course)

Then I would build a router station for the other side.

I could then mount my filter to the bottom.

Then I would have my TS, router station, filter, and 4x8 build table all in one. Of course DC would be built in.

I could just keep this thing plonked in the middle of my garage.
Probably not silly at all. I actually read somewhere that having it at that level is more efficient than hanging it from the ceiling. I suspect the reason most of us put it up there is just to get it out of the way. Would be interested in seeing what you come up with.

David Parker
04-02-2008, 10:26 PM

My basement ceiling height does not allow for ceiling mounting. I'm going to mount it vertically on one of my walls near the ceiling, based on the info from this post (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=306379&postcount=10) by Howard Acheson. This will circulate the air in a clockwise direction around my shop and enhance filtration. It also happens to be a perfect place in my shop that's out of my way.

I just finished painting my cement walls and hope to have it mounted in the next few days.

Dave

Dave MacArthur
04-04-2008, 12:02 AM
I also put some sleepers between the joists and put eyebolts into those, then hung it on chains.. it's heavier than I thought it would be, balancing up on top of a ladder trying to get those chains hooked up...

Carl Fox
04-04-2008, 12:38 AM
I also put some sleepers between the joists and put eyebolts into those, then hung it on chains.. it's heavier than I thought it would be, balancing up on top of a ladder trying to get those chains hooked up...

Ick. I have some cheapie tie-downs that I would use to hoist it up there.