PDA

View Full Version : Comments on Lynx handsaws?

Cliff Polubinsky
04-02-2008, 4:40 PM
I'm thinking of picking up a Lynx crosscut and tenon saw. I haven't been able to find much in the way of comment on them. Does anyone have any and how do you like them? Or, is there anything else you would suggest as to where to pick up a ready to use pair? As in what models and where to find them?

Thanks for any information.

Cliff

Andy Haney
04-02-2008, 11:16 PM
Can't address your questions about quality/use, as I don't have any. However, I did just receive a 1/2 price sale flier via email from Hartville Tools. PM to me with your email and I can forward that message.

Andy

Cliff Polubinsky
04-03-2008, 1:17 PM
Thanks, Andy. I have that email, thus the question.

Cliff

Robert Rozaieski
04-03-2008, 2:25 PM
If you plan to actually use the tenon saw to cut tenons, make sure it is filed rip. Most of these saws that I've seen that were dubbed "tenon saws" are typically filed crosscut. If you need to re-file it, you might as well spend the extra $$ and get one already filed that way, like a Wenzloff. Or find an old one , get the tools to file it yourself and have at it.

Steve Hamlin
04-03-2008, 6:45 PM
Lynx saws are available in either tooth configuration - will just need to check which is offered by your supplier:
http://www.flinn-garlick-saws.co.uk/acatalog/The_Lynx_Range.html

This info concerning Pax and Lynx (both ranges by Tho. Flinn & Co) may be of interest:

The fundamental differences between the Pax and Lynx ranges are as follows:

1. Pax Dovetails, Tenons and Handsaws are ALL hand sharpened. Lynx saws are machine sharpened. Both are re-sharpenable.
2. Pax Dovetails and Tenons have a mirror finished brass back as do the Lynx with Walnut Dovetails and Tenons. The rest of the Lynx range have a machine polished back.
3. The steel used is the same on both ranges - CS80 (commonly known as saw steel).
4. Pax Dovetails, Tenons and Handsaws all have a Two Tone Beech Handle and a medallion and use solid brass screws. These are packed in a presentation style box. The smaller Pax saws have a rosewood handle. The Lynx range has the option of Beech Handles or Walnut on the Dovetail, Tenon and Handsaws (which too have the medallion and brass screws). The walnut range are also packed in a green presentation style box. The Beech handled range are packed in a wallet. The smaller saws are made using a Beech handle.

5. Pax Handsaws are taper ground and breasted and the Lynx Handsaws have a straight tooth line. The walnut ones are taper ground.
6. Hardness is 45 rockwell.
(direct from the horse's mouth at Tho. Flinn)

Cheers
Steve