PDA

View Full Version : a little Limbert (with pics)

Walt Caza
04-02-2008, 4:11 PM
Good Day to the Creek,
I had a nasty plank of white oak in the shop that resembled a W in shape.
I could not tell if it had good figure as it was rough, but I had my suspicions...I also suspected it would be a handful to work.
The two extreme camel humps hinted at some serious internal stress.
Having avoided it long enough, I finally chopped the monster up...but into
short lengths to minimize dressing away my spendy QSW oak.
Joint and plane, stop for lunch, then I found I had to joint and plane the bananas all over again.
Pinched my rip blade good...stock was pushing back wicked ...thanks riving knife!
(6-8% dry but ornery)

I ended up making a Charles Limbert plant stand. The top lamination may look an odd choice, but it will be permanent home to a Croton in a 10" dia planter,
and I wanted the flake to remain visible around the big pot.
The dowels were an afterthought, to keep my panel glue-ups flush, to keep them nice and thick, not for strength. (thanks Dowelmax)
20 mortise and tenon joints hold it together, the panels mount with 3/4" blocks with screws, the crossgrain holes I slotted for movement.
I mixed a darker blend of oil stain than my usual, and topped with satin poly. When the wife comes home from work, the wire stand will be gone
with the new 'old-looking' one in it's place!

pics are: gnarly oak, mortise & tenons, dowels, panel and parts in clamps
Thanks for looking,
Walt
:)

Walt Caza
04-02-2008, 4:12 PM
Creekers love pics, so here are a few more:
barebones frame, left side, in the sunshine, right side and old vs new

I keep meaning to try some other hardwood, but I just love oak!

gary Zimmel
04-02-2008, 5:00 PM
Walt

Great looking plant stand.

Love the QSWO! Its my favorite to work with.

Bill Franklin
04-02-2008, 5:33 PM
That is beautiful, Walt. I am a fan of the wood also. What did you use to finish it?

Bill

Bill Wyko
04-02-2008, 6:20 PM
What was your wifes reaction? I hope joy and gratitude.:D

Art Mulder
04-02-2008, 6:44 PM
nice figure, Walt.

However, judging by the stash in the background, you've got more than a few more boards laying around. But you still used the "W" first?

Also, how is that bottom shelf attached? I don't see a cleat, but it's top is flush with the bottom rails... :confused:

...art

Peter Quinn
04-02-2008, 6:47 PM
Holy ray fleck Batman....Nice stand!

Roy Wall
04-02-2008, 6:49 PM
Good work Walt! QSWO is a nice look --- that plant stand will be around a while!

Walt Caza
04-02-2008, 8:42 PM
Thanks for all your kind words...

Bill: just a blend of ole Minwax oil stain, I pour what I hope for a main field
colour into a jar, and then some reddish, stir and test a wipe on a scrap, adjust as seems appropriate
this time was 3 different colours blended, brace for the worst, and hope for the best...
on top, just Minwax satin poly.
Used gloss for first 2 coats this time, 20 min apart, so no sand in between.
Aiming for finish to build thicker quicker. Then satin on top, which is just the same stuff, plus flatteners.

Bill W: Took wifey a while to notice, but she was pleased...she is really starting to like my taste in hundred year old furniture...

Art: Ya, I have a bit of oak but the straight boards are earmarked for current larger Stickley project, and a big one on the back burner.
Good eye, both panels are fastened with 3/4" by 3/4" by 3" oak blocks with 2 screws into stretcher and just 1 into panel.
The crossgrain screwholes were stretched and screw left to float in the hopes that
seasonal wood movement would not blow that chunky monkey to pieces.
I used up the wavy board 'cause I was sick of looking at it... it was like wrestling an alligator. It kept pushing back at me on the saw,
like a slow-motion kickback, I would pull it back off riving knife, and rip back into the
closed kerf again standing to the side. It may have taken 1/4" of lost stock to make a kerf that would stay open to complete the rip. Uggh
In hindsite, next unruly board like that, I rip on bandsaw.

David Eisan
04-02-2008, 8:47 PM
Nice looking piece Walt!

David.

Terry Achey
04-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Beautiful wood! Attractive design and stand! You must be pleased.

Jim Becker
04-03-2008, 12:36 AM
That's just great, Walt! Nice way to use that board!

Joe Chritz
04-03-2008, 12:46 AM
I'm with Peter. That pieces has some serious rays.

Very nice indeed. I love quarter sawn oak.

Joe

George Sanders
04-03-2008, 7:05 AM
I really like the stand. I too love oak.

Don Bullock
04-03-2008, 7:33 AM
Nice QSO Mission Style table. Great job Walt. Thanks for sharing.