PDA

View Full Version : Stock up on WD40 $$$$$$

Dave Lehnert
04-02-2008, 3:26 PM
I use a lot of WD40 in my shop. I buy it in Gal cans. Last can I purchased about 2 months ago was $9.99 (good price, most places around $12.99) Today it's $17.99. Guess the cost of oil has gotten to that too.

JohnT Fitzgerald
04-02-2008, 3:36 PM
wow! I don't use THAT much - I'm always amused when I see it in the gallon cans - but 2x is pretty steep. Question - I have a spray can of WD40 that seems to have lost it's pressure...can I just puncture the can and empty into a different (suitable) container?

Trivia - what does "WD" stand for? and why is it '40'?

Peter Quadarella
04-02-2008, 3:41 PM
I've been using WD40 on my bandsaw table top and it has kept any rust from appearing, and it is super cheap stuff which is great. However, I've noticed a couple of black marks on some of my wood - is it the WD40 staining it? Is it time to switch to Boeshield so that I don't mark up my wood?

mark page
04-02-2008, 3:42 PM
Trivia answer: WD stands for "water displacement". I have no clue as to the "40" and I even watched the tv show on the background of WD40 several years ago.

Greg Cole
04-02-2008, 3:44 PM
Trivia - what does "WD" stand for? and why is it '40'?

WD= water displacement
40= number of attempts to invent said "wd" formula successfully.
It was invented to prevent rust on missles in storage, silos etc.

Cheers.
Greg

J. Z. Guest
04-02-2008, 3:46 PM
As Greg said: "WD" = water displacement
40 --> it was their 40th attempt at the perfect forumula.

JohnT Fitzgerald
04-02-2008, 4:01 PM
Very good - we must have seen the same show on the History Channel :)

Lee Schierer
04-02-2008, 4:20 PM
Question - I have a spray can of WD40 that seems to have lost it's pressure...can I just puncture the can and empty into a different (suitable) container?

I've had the same thing happen. You can repressurize the can with compressed air. Remove the sprayer, place an air nozzle tightly against the opening and turn on the air. If you can make a rubber washer to get a better seal it works better. Generally you can get in enough air through the valve to pressurize the contents so it will spray again. Repeat as required....your mileage may vary.

JohnT Fitzgerald
04-02-2008, 4:24 PM
You can repressurize the can with compressed air. Remove the sprayer, place an air nozzle tightly against the opening and turn on the air. If you can make a rubber washer to get a better seal it works better.

Interesting solution, I'll give it a try.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-02-2008, 4:39 PM
I use a lot of WD40 in my shop. I buy it in Gal cans. Last can I purchased about 2 months ago was $9.99 (good price, most places around $12.99) Today it's $17.99. Guess the cost of oil has gotten to that too.

What do you do with that much of the stuff~?

John Holder
04-02-2008, 4:59 PM
labeled WD40. If you decide to poke a hole in the can be sure and post the video on UTube .

John Holder
04-02-2008, 5:01 PM
13.10 for gal
71.88 for 5gal
521.64 for 55gal
shipped from Dallas

Dale Lesak
04-02-2008, 7:57 PM
Hi John, yes you can. They make a hand spray pump with the WD logo on it. I keep mine filled that way. Also you can charge up a new can by using the spray wand stuck into the spray tops. Just connect the two cans together with the wand and hold both nozzles down for about 30 seconds. you don't get a full charge but you have two cans that will spray. to empty a can I turn it upside down and using a Ice pick poke a small hole in the bottom and let off any pressure if any. then I'll use a regular can opener to poke a hole in the bottom to pour the remaining fluid out. If you have a nearly full can this is a good job for outside the shop. "Just in case" Dale

Brad Noble
04-02-2008, 8:19 PM
13.10 for gal
71.88 for 5gal
521.64 for 55gal
shipped from Dallas

I'm confused. 13.10 per gallon - 71.88 for 5 gallon can? Why would I pay 71.88 for a 5 gallon can when I can buy 5 one gallon cans for 65.50? We should all just buy the 55 gallon barrel so we can get it for 9.48 per gallon. But Honey .... It was on sale!!!

:D :) :D :) :D :) :D :)

Brad

Dave Lehnert
04-02-2008, 9:04 PM
I clean almost everything in my shop with WD40. Makes metal shine. For example I clean the cabinet of my saw. I use it on locks, garage tracks etc...Also wipe down my ZTR mower before placing in storage.
I DO NOT use it on saw tops etc... Only paste wax for that.

Lee Koepke
04-02-2008, 9:12 PM
I clean almost everything in my shop with WD40. Makes metal shine. For example I clean the cabinet of my saw. I use it on locks, garage tracks etc...Also wipe down my ZTR mower before placing in storage.
I DO NOT use it on saw tops etc... Only paste wax for that.
WD-40 cleans everything, and duct tape fixes whats broken ... :D

i dont use as much as I used to, but the prices are shockin ..

Joe Jensen
04-02-2008, 9:26 PM
WOW, In 20 years I've never cleaned the cabinets of my tools :confused:

Jim Dunn
04-02-2008, 10:48 PM
WOW, In 20 years I've never cleaned the cabinets of my tools :confused:
Do you wax em??

I've never liked WD40 as I had found that by displacing water it just turned up somewhere I didn't want it:eek: That's also where the rust went too.:mad:

Joe Jensen
04-03-2008, 2:13 AM
Do you wax em??

I've never liked WD40 as I had found that by displacing water it just turned up somewhere I didn't want it:eek: That's also where the rust went too.:mad:

I'm lucky to live in bone dry AZ, no rust anywhere. I have used "Top Saver" a few times, and I do wax the planer bed to help with feeding stock.

Jim Dunn
04-03-2008, 7:29 AM
A fine piece of equipment is like a fine car, it should be shown affection:eek::D, by waxing it.

Rob Will
04-03-2008, 8:52 AM
I built a whole separate shop building to get wood items away from the grease and oil in my machine shop. Now we are going to hose down everything with WD-40? Uhh no.

I keep one spray can of WD-40 in the wood shop but use it sparingly.

Rob

Karl Laustrup
04-03-2008, 9:10 AM
I've been using WD40 on my bandsaw table top and it has kept any rust from appearing, and it is super cheap stuff which is great. However, I've noticed a couple of black marks on some of my wood - is it the WD40 staining it? Is it time to switch to Boeshield so that I don't mark up my wood?

I'd be switching to something like Boeshield if I were you Peter. The WD40 is an oil based product and as such can leave a residue on wood. Whether that is what's causing your black streaks, I don't know. I do know that any residue from the WD40 could make finishing a problem.

Karl

Scott Whiting
04-03-2008, 10:30 AM
I'm lucky to live in bone dry AZ, no rust anywhere. I have used "Top Saver" a few times, and I do wax the planer bed to help with feeding stock.

Come by my shop during monsoon. Every piece of bare metal, including tools in for sharpening, has rust.

Bruce Benjamin
04-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Come by my shop during monsoon. Every piece of bare metal, including tools in for sharpening, has rust.

Seriously? That's surprising. I live in Redding, Ca. and during the summer it's very hot and very dry. Pretty much every year at least once it's the hottest in the nation. Of course during the winter it's more humid. We get anywhere between 35" to well over 60" of rain a year. I never get any rust on any of my equipment due to weather. The only rust is from my sweat and that's enough. I have coated my tablesaw with some coating once a few years ago but that's long gone. Pretty much I don't bother. I wipe off the sweat and use some steel wool on the few light spots that I miss. I would never use WD-40 because I'd be afraid of what it would do the the finish on the wood I mill. I wonder what makes Glendale weather different. :confused:

Bruce

Scott Whiting
04-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Seriously? That's surprising. I live in Redding, Ca. and during the summer it's very hot and very dry. I wonder what makes Glendale weather different. :confused:

Bruce

The south, getting worse the further East you go, gets humid in the summer. The only cooling I have in the shop is evaporative so in an effort to keep the temp below 90 inside I am adding moisture to moist air. Add to that most of the tools I sharpen are done so with coolant and rust is inevitable. Indeed Arizona is dry 10 months of the year, monsoon changes that.

jeremy levine
04-03-2008, 11:40 AM
I take every desiccate pack that comes in to the house ( from shoes , cloths, boxed purchases ) and put them in with my tools I have no proof it helps but it seems to.

Loren Hedahl
04-03-2008, 12:33 PM

Drink it!:D

Joe Jensen
04-03-2008, 8:34 PM

Wow, do you use a swamp cooler? I've been in the Phoenix area for 24 years and the only time I get rust is if water drops off the overhead door after a rain, or if one of my kids leaves a water glass on a tool top.

I have angle iron and such around the shop as I weld too, and none of it has rust. My shop is a 3 car garage with an insulated roof, but no cooling and no insulation in the walls.

I do spray my saw top occasionally with the "Top Coat" product as it keeps things slick.