PDA

View Full Version : Marble on floor

Sylvia Mossbrucker
04-02-2008, 11:50 AM
I have just started etching on marble and it seems much nicer than granite however I noticed marble scratches much much easier, does anyone know if you can seal marble and use it for walking surfaces (floors) or does the scratch issue become a problem?

lucas kreft
04-02-2008, 7:38 PM
Hello

All I use is a rock based sealer, one that is good for all purpose.
I etched a granite bar counter top, and I was worrying about staining over the white paint.

The sealer worked fine.
Just go to your local hardware store.
If you would like a brand name I will go to work and get the name of it.

Cheers

Garry McKinney
04-03-2008, 8:48 AM
There are many sealer that you can use on marble and it can be used on floors.
But it will scratch , a rock on a shoe can play real issues on it and anything that breaks the surface can mark it. If someone asks me for floor tiles in marble , I strongly suggest they do not use the laser marble.

Hard Marble , natural marble which has white veins through it are preferred as it will take a different level of punishment.

Belinda Barfield
04-05-2008, 8:15 AM
Sylvia,

All marble will scratch, it is the nature of the beast. It is not nearly as durable as granite. Take care with sealers because most that protect the surface can also present a slip hazard.

For more info go to the Marble Institute of America website.

www.marble-institute.com (http://www.marble-institute.com)

Bill Cunningham
04-06-2008, 10:41 PM
If you walking on it, or using it outside, I usually suggest that my customers use Granite.. If it's inside and framed, mounted, or propped up in a stand, Marble is better.. The polymer stone sealer from H.D. works well for both..