PDA

View Full Version : Small Apricot Wood Gloat

Brent Ring
04-02-2008, 11:47 AM
All,

Here is a small wood gloat. I got a line on a free apricot tree which someone wanted removed. I went and looked at it and my 19 year old son and I went and cut it down. (He was excited to get out and use the chain saws!) After the project, I was promptly reminded to never ask again to have him help me cut a tree down.

Anyway, here are the pictures of the haul. Not a lot, and a little firewood for the backyard fire pit, but there are some fun slabs and boards. The first pictures are some grain shots. Next are the haul, and my $15.00 chainsaw Lumber Maker investment at Harbor Freight. Slow cutting, but it works. I also need to get my chain sharpened.

The larger pile will get cut 4/4, 6/4, and some 8/4. The smaller pile will be cut 4/4. It gives me an excuse to make a resaw sled for the bandsaw.

Brent Ring
04-02-2008, 11:49 AM
More Pictures! Work cut out for me...

Michael Weber
04-02-2008, 1:42 PM
Brent, really unique wood. What is the last picture of? Some kind of chainsaw mill part?

Brent Ring
04-02-2008, 3:09 PM
Brent, really unique wood. What is the last picture of? Some kind of chainsaw mill part?

Yep - Exactly - and it is slow work, but kinda fun. I did not use the 2x4, but used it without the middle adjuster and ripped a 2x8 to fit it. I planed the top to make it flat and then waxed both it, and the chainsaw attachment. It slid really smoothly.

This was more of a learning experience for me, milling my own lumber, and drying, etc.

Plus, it was apricot!
:cool:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=41085

Jack Vines
04-02-2008, 3:18 PM
Good luck with drying apricot. All fruit trees tend to check and split, but apricot is the worst. Most of what I have tried ended up as firewood. If you can get it dried, it is a beautiful wood and works well.

thnx, jack vines