PDA

View Full Version : Moose Antler

Ray Mighells
04-02-2008, 11:29 AM
This rack came from Iceland. The long one is 3.25" long and is a woodcarving pattern (Fox and Pheasant w/habitat). The round one is 2 x 1.5" and tattoo design. I coated them with several apps of wipe on poly, then a quick rub of Rub n Buff.

Frank Corker
04-02-2008, 4:20 PM
Ray look very nice, did you have to put anything into the engraving to darken? Also what was the smell lilke?

Chad Voller
04-02-2008, 4:40 PM
Very cool. Also wondering about the smell. Probably similar to that of a bone saw in action or a burnt finger nail?

Ray Mighells
04-02-2008, 6:29 PM
Thanks guys, I'm thinking I will try to slice these thinner and make earrings and pins. Frank, I used ebony rnb then wiped it down with paint thinner. I burned at 50 sp and 100 pwr 400 dpi w/my 35W epilog. A slower speed probably would result in a darker result. I have never had odor from any material during machine operation. I've cut lots of wood, acrylic, cork and leather. Worst I've ever had is minor lingering odor in the case or on the item. I use a Delta Shopmaster dust collector as an exhaust system. The motor is outside and connected with a 10' hose I ran through a window.

Thad Nickoley
04-02-2008, 9:16 PM
I engraved some dog biscuts once really nasty smell. its not as bad if you use a higher quality product. i think that the cheaper ones are made of nastier materials.

Bill Parker
04-03-2008, 12:10 AM
I engraved some dog biscuts once really nasty smell.

He he.:D Well I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that looks at things and wonders how they would turn out engraved.

Peter Meacham
04-03-2008, 8:26 AM
I also did some dog biscuts - I thought they had a burnt taste...

Thad Nickoley
04-04-2008, 1:05 AM
a little bit of ketchup will help

Frank Corker
04-04-2008, 5:05 AM
I also did some dog biscuts - I thought they had a burnt taste...

Hey me too! I noticed that after that I couldn't stop chasing the cat and running after cars, but on the plus side my hair has a lovely shiny texture.