PDA

View Full Version : Learning curve

curtis rosche
04-02-2008, 11:27 AM
As you guys know i have been learning the art of turning. I have been using/taught to use a roundnose scraper to turn. but now i have learned to use the gouges, :eek: big difference, alot quicker, stays sharper. It still jumps on me once in a while but its gettin better, the main thing i still need to work on is form. Could some one make a list of the profiles that are good form? or point me towards one for platters, and bowls, up until now i have just kinda been going with what the wood wants to do. Keeping things big as possible with no bad spots, and trying to keep any figure i find. Im not that good at form because im one of those people who likes just about any of the shapes that i make just because its something i made. As of now there are 2 platters i am working on now that are about 16in. One is cherry and is about 3in thick to work with. The other is a peice of laminated beam 1x16. Both are glued to a waste block. Hopefully theres a list of forms that i can go off of, or someone can help.

Ben Gastfriend
04-02-2008, 1:23 PM
I found this in a book I have called "Popular Mechanics Workshop: Lathe Fundamentals, the Complete Guide. Hopefully there are some good ideas for forms here.

Dennis Peacock
04-02-2008, 1:28 PM
Ben has pointed you in a very good direction. One problem many turners have is trying to save as much wood as they can and forgetting about "form". I've been guilty of that for a long time and have finally gotten around to "oh never mind about how big this is, I want THIS shape" kind of thing and it actual gets better as time progresses. Get a picture in your minds eye and see how close you can come to that image. Remember, you are developing your skill, comfort factor at the lathe, how to get the form you desire, and how to get it off the lathe with the added WOW factor.

For some of us, it takes a good bit more time at the lathe than others. I'm one of those that took more time to get better. Now I just need to get back out there and start turning again. I sure hope to by summer. :)

Scott Hubl
04-02-2008, 2:38 PM
http://www.woodturner.org/resources/tompkins_design.pdf

This might help you some.
Look and Study all the turners galleries you can also.

I will Print out color prints of basic forms or things I want to try and hang them near the lathe to inspire.
Scroll this page and you'll see alot of platters and other forms, may be worth buying the book.;)
http://www.skillspublish.com.au/BK12-80.htm

Scott Hubl
04-02-2008, 2:43 PM
Here is another good link to look over.
http://www.turnwood.net/gallery_vases_hollow_forms_vessels.html

Matt Hutchinson
04-02-2008, 5:25 PM
Most turners begin by simply copying others. It's the easiest and the best way to not only develop your eye, but your skills as well. Looking at other turners' forms is how you develop your eye. But don't forget to investigate other mediums. Pottery and glass blowing also provide a wealth of form studies, and they too are very inspiring.

As you grow as a turner and an artist, it is important that you take the time to brainstorm. For me, I often sit and close my eyes, so I am not distracted. I run through the forms that I have stored in my memory. Then I take a form I like and try to add something to it, or take something away. This often lead to other ideas, and sometimes rather unique creations. Through this whole process I sketch things down. I do this mostly free-hand, but at times I use straight edges, french curves, and a compass. Employing graph paper helps greatly with freehand sketching.

On the flip side of this, if I have an interesting piece of wood with naturally beautiful features, I may use a very simple form in order to emphasize the "defects". This may mean purposely mounting a blank off center so as to leave a natural edge or specific feature, instead of simply turning it clean and smooth.

With this in mind, it's also important to have a good selection of blanks. This isn't so you can feel like a "serious woodturner", but it gives you options. On any given day you may want to create a very specific design, and it's more than frustrating if you have to put a lid on your excitement merely because you can't find a suitable piece of wood. This also means leaving your wood pile as logs, rather than blanking it all out. Even with limited space a nice log pile is achievable.

So, look around and study what's out there. Then brainstorm, design, and create....with confidence!

Hutch

Fred Conte
04-02-2008, 6:12 PM
Scott thanks for those references, very good info!!!

Bernie Weishapl
04-02-2008, 8:22 PM
I agree with Matt. I have found myself walking thru hobby lobby looking at vases, boxes, etc. to get ideas. When the LOML goes to the pottery store I browse thru it looking for ideas. Just look around Curtis you'll be surprised what you see.