PDA

View Full Version : Quartersawn white oak design question

Wilbur Pan
04-02-2008, 8:45 AM
I was thinking about making a stand for a TV and A/V equipment out of white oak. (Think low bookcase 48"W x 30"H x 20"D with a middle divider.) I thought about using quartersawn white oak, but then I realized that after everything was put into the case, the only visible elements would be the left and right panels.

So if you were making a bookcase-like piece out of QSWO, do you only use the QSWO on the sides where it is visible, or do you use it for everything, including the shelves, back, and top?

Rod Sheridan
04-02-2008, 9:16 AM
Hi Wilbur, I built a TV stand which has a top 32X20X1, and I use QSWO throughout.

I also built a stereo cabinet and used QSWO throughout.

Regards, Rod.

Rob Will
04-02-2008, 9:41 AM
FWIW, the wood will be about twice as stable with the QS face showing. If you have it, might as well use it.

Rob

Sam Yerardi
04-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Wilbur,

Probably the greatest use of quarter sawn white oak is in the building of Arts & Crafts furniture, especially Stickley. If you look at that furniture, every effort was made to have all exposed surfaces showing the quarter-sawn surfaces. On posts, typically either a very thick veneer of QSWO is used on the sides opposite to the desired sides so that all sides show the grain, or what is known as quadralinear post construction is used.

I try to show it on every exposed surface if I can.