PDA

View Full Version : Using router bit as cutting edge

Chris Barnett
04-02-2008, 1:26 AM
Any reason why a proper shaped router bit attached to the end of steel bar would not be suitable for cutting, either an internal or an external bowl surface? Several of the commercially available hollowing tools appear to have cutter surfaces approximating this arrangement.

Thought that perhaps a cove bit with a flat ground on the shaft, could be inserted into a 3/4 inch or so, steel bar and held with a few allen screws. Mounting the steel bar in a handle would result in a cheap tool. But perhaps the carbide would wear out too quickly, and since resharpening carbide is so difficult, this would make HSS a better choice. Just a thought.

neil mackay
04-02-2008, 5:48 AM
Chris,

No problem at all, most router bits are made from tungsten carbide. Which is far harder than HSS in any grade.

The draw backs might be that you will have to buy a different grinding wheel in order to sharpen the router bit.[ green colour] Its true you wont have to sharpen a TC cutter very often, but at some time you will have to.

Also they are perhaps best suited to rough out work as the grain structure is coarse compared to HSS. With HSS you can get a far sharper edge due to its finer structure.

Terry Quiram
04-02-2008, 6:37 AM
I use a two flute round nose end mill for hollowing lidded boxes.

Paul Engle
04-02-2008, 10:09 AM
You are correct as it will work, look for C6 carbide as it is finer grade and will take a sharper edge, I got a 3/4 x 6 inch wheel for carbide for 22$ which is a pretty typical price , some cup style wheels go for 10$ look for the 80 to 120 grt as the finer the grit the finer the edge on the C6 ( C2 is pretty much std grade for general metal turning) metal turning does not require a " scary sharp" edge like wood does so a diamond honing stick may be helpful also.the is a lot of tooling bits out there that will work and if you have access to any try em out , I use carbide for roughing and endgrain finish work box etc and wood milling ... works great and I like not having to sharpen them near as much as my gouges of HSS.PM me if you wanna yak carbide.

Dennis Peacock
04-02-2008, 1:31 PM
Huh.....never thought about that. Good idear. ;)

David Epperson
04-02-2008, 2:20 PM
Dennis
I'd thought about using one. Turn the work at 12rpm and the cutter at 12000. :D