PDA

View Full Version : Any Info on DuraCoat Garage Floor Covering

Joe Pack
03-25-2004, 7:42 PM
I received an advertising packet of cards for wood/building/homeowner products a couple of days ago. One of the cards was from a company called Protect Your Surface, located in Lindenhurst NY (NJ?), promoting an epoxy-like coating called DuraCoat. The card said that it was for protecting wood, concrete and metal.

I called the 800 number to check it out and was told by a fellow there that they were "...an industrial paint and coatings business that sells excess material to consumers through advertisements like you received." The "...don't sell through dealers, because the bulk of our business is industrial coatings...", not retail.

I explained that I was looking for a coating to help fill minor pitting in my garage floor, at the same time protecting the concrete from further damage from salt drippings from my car (the only salt my concrete ever sees). He said that the DuraCoat was "...just the thing..." to do this job; it would fill cracks, small pits, etc., and, after curing, not even be affected by hot tires. In short, he indicated that this product was just what I was looking for...an easy to spread (3/8" nap roller), "molasses consistency" material that was "almost foolproof."

When I described the condition of the area where the cars sit, he suggested rolling or using a squeegee to fill the pitted areas first, then go over it again with the whole floor topcoat. I was told that it adhered to concrete, even floors with old sealer, with no problem, except over relatively fresh oil, which must be cleaned thoroughly.

The product supposedly has a 20 year guarantee. The cost is $99/gallon, with a gallon covering up to 300 sq. ft (although the fellow did advise that 250 sq. ft would be more reasonable...my guess also).

I have done a thorough internet search, and have found "DuraCoat" to be anything from a gun barrel/bullet finish coating to a spray for cloth to concrete smoothing material to coatings for steel buildings to concrete coatings, but I have found nothing about the company that produces it, and only one listing of a company that carries it by name. (The name, if copyrighted, is plagiarized by MANY other companies.)

Bottom line...have any of you either heard of this product or know someone who has used it or have used it yourself? It sounds good, even at the high price, but....

Call me skeptical, but wishful.

Thanks for helping.

Robert Ducharme
03-25-2004, 8:23 PM
I would forget it. :(

I used Rustoleum industrial epoxy coating on the floor of my workshop. Home Depot has this for $89 per pack - that is 2 gallons that have to be mixed and then spread. I used "candy-stripe" rollers and it goes on like very thick molasses. It also covers about 250 sq ft for the first coat. I did not see any need to make it 2 coats since I am not getting that much load on the floor. Very pleased with the results and will do my other garage later on. :)

You do want to use a good filter mask to avoid toxic fumes.

I would not believe their claims about it adhering to old sealer or old oil. It may adhere but the old stuff may not adhere so it would peel back anyway. Just like in working with any finish, the cleaner your substrate, the better the bond.

I would etch the floor with acid and make certain to get all oil stains off. Also use a power washer for best results.

After my floor was painted, I did accidently spill oil on it and it wiped up very nicely with a kleenex. Also something to consider. Even though the paint may adhere, you can always scratch it just like any surface. It just takes a little heavier item to do the scratching.

Bill Simpson
11-12-2008, 10:33 PM
I also did an inquiry card on duracoat and have almost the same results as you say. A fellow called me and gave the same spill and advised that it would serve my purpose which is to cover the rear deck of our houseboat ('77 model Steel hull) the back deck has rotted carpet and is exposed to UV rays as it sits exposed 365 per year. Hot/cold, rain snow Sun and wind all year. Price started at $145 and then $109 then $99...

I don't know either.... might worth a try,

BTW... He told me 250 sqft per gal. Was the fellow Mike A####?

Brian Effinger
11-12-2008, 10:47 PM
It sounds similar to a traffic coating I recently specified for a fire district training facility. This product was about $300 for a 5 gallon bucket and goes on thick in two coats. It also can supposedly go over asphalt, steel and many other surfaces in addition to concrete. It also has a grit to it, so when the firemen are training with water, the floors will not get slippery. I took a good look at it as the contractor was applying it and after, and it appears to be as tough as nails. I have a feeling it will stand up to many years of abuse.
If this Durocoat product is anything like the one that I saw applied, it is a good investment.

Andrew Derhammer
11-12-2008, 11:40 PM
Sounds just like an epoxy coating.
Had them in the scene shop last year when I was still doing stage crew.
They were nice, spills cleaned up easier, didn't feel as cold as concrete, and felt a little bit more comfortable standing on than concrete.

Chris Padilla
11-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Ah, finally, something I have first-hand knowledge about. I used this stuff to paint my garage floor. See this very long thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=10600) and go to posts 252 - 254 to see the results (last page of the thread).

They claim a lof stuff in regard to this stuff and I think about half of it is true. It is very viscous (near water) and goes on nicely. They claim no tire marks--liars. The claim it fills pits--liars.

However, it is durable and does make sweeping and clean up tons easier and it does appear impervious to most liquids you might spill in a garage. It does slicken up the floor a bit which does make it easier to sweep, clean but I haven't found it a detriment in the least. YMMV here.

If I had it to do all over gain, I would go to www.ucoatit.com (http://www.ucoatit.com) and use their products.

Neal Clayton
11-13-2008, 5:12 PM
It sounds similar to a traffic coating I recently specified for a fire district training facility. This product was about $300 for a 5 gallon bucket and goes on thick in two coats. It also can supposedly go over asphalt, steel and many other surfaces in addition to concrete. It also has a grit to it, so when the firemen are training with water, the floors will not get slippery. I took a good look at it as the contractor was applying it and after, and it appears to be as tough as nails. I have a feeling it will stand up to many years of abuse.
If this Durocoat product is anything like the one that I saw applied, it is a good investment.

my stepbrother worked for the construction company that refit the superdome after hurricane katrina, and they used that stuff on the walkways in it. they had a bit left over that they passed out for back porch and home shop use, my dad got the first use of it on his concrete back patio. it's held up pretty well so far, he runs a grill and a smoker on it, and it hasn't bothered over the heat. they also move a portable picnic table and a cast iron burner around out there for shrimp and crawfish boils and that doesn't scar it either.

so yeah, i agree, it's pretty good stuff, would be great for a shop floor imo.