PDA

View Full Version : My turn for an "aiiiiieeeh!" post.

David Rose
03-08-2003, 12:35 AM
Got the bench nearly done for LOML. Her birthday is the 10th and we are to visit with her Mom Sunday and Monday. I work tomorrow. So NOOOOOO pressure!!!

All I lacked was the seat and bottom. Last night I discovered than due to slight changes I had made in the plans, the seat was too narrow by 1/4". OK, edge band. No sweat, but more delay.

So I worked on the bottom tonight after banding the seat. I carefully measured 6 times and marked twice and cut once. That is on the sides and one end. Everything was as square and accurate as I could get it. I was working very deliberately and taking some time and getting things right. Yea! Then I marked the last end for trimming. I made careful tick marks where the final edge needed to be. I measured again allowing for the router base and the amount the cutter would remove. rechecked it three times. I had six extra inches to remove, so I whipped her off on the bandsaw. Right on the mark I made for the edge guide of course.... <sigh>

I quit for the night. I hate to leave things in a bad state so I guess I should have quit earlier. Oh, well... This started as a birthday present, which became a valentine present which evolved into another Christmas present, . Now it was to be her birthday present again. Maybe I just need to quit trying to schedule until I am more experienced, if I ever get that way.

I guess we all need a little discouragement to appreciate what we do right. I would just like to have it go right a little more often.

David

Todd Burch
03-08-2003, 12:43 AM
You'll get there. What makes you a woodworker is knowing how to fix all those mistakes. We all make them.

I was delivering a large cabinet assembly the other day, and had a panel "magnetized" in place, and when unloading from my truck, BANG! The panel fell out and on the ground (completely finished, mind you) and the center stile broke in two. I was VERY upset. I found the lemon aid though - the wood broke, not my joinery.

Anyway, I'm always faster the second time through - maybe you are two?

Now, if I could figure out how to make the second one first...

Todd.

David Rose
03-08-2003, 1:34 AM
Yours was worse than mine. That hurts! Glad you found the lemonaid there. ;-)

Yeah, being the bottom, I think I can likely splice the pieces which are supported underneath well enough to drive a truck over. After some trimming they fit tightly, so we'll see how they look.

Wouldn't be so bad but all my long clamps are tied up on the edging right now.

Simple enough. I just need more clamps... Where have I heard that before?

My problem is that I do get it down a little better after a couple of tries. Then for some stupid reason I think I have it figured out and "measure once, cut twice". Just got to find the balance.

David

Dan Bussiere
03-10-2003, 10:44 AM
David,
As a new woodworker, if I only have to do something twice I figure I am getting better!rolleyes: Keep plugging away!
Dan:D

Bob Lasley
03-10-2003, 11:28 AM
David,

I hate it when I do something like that and I've done it more times than I want to admit to. Instead of "measure twice, cut once" my motto is all too often "cut it off three times, and its still too short"!

I feel your pain.

Bob

Lee Schierer
03-10-2003, 11:57 AM
Better to be another day late on a project than make a bad mistake that gets you hurt. When Ii get frustrated, I call it quits and turn out the lights in the shop. The problem isn't usually so large when I come back the next day.