PDA

View Full Version : PM60 jointer questions "carbide cutterhed"

Michael Schwartz
04-01-2008, 9:44 PM
I recently purchased an older used powermatic pm60 8" jointer that is in pretty nice condition. I am not sure of the vintage but it is of the yellow variety.

I did check the vee belt and I would like to order a replacement, although I am not sure of the best source for a replacement or the exact length.

I am also thinking of upgrading the cutter-head to a helical cutterhead with carbide inserts since it is also comming time to replace the knives. How difficult is the instalation of an aftermarket cutterhead and is it worth upgrading an older machine.

Hopefully I can get this jointer tuned up to perfection.

Mark Carlson
04-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Hi Michael,

Its very easy to install a helical cutterhead, figure about 30-60 minutes. Sunhill Machinery sells 8in byrd cutterheads for $415. The P60 is listed. I upgraded my powermatic 54a jointer about 6 months ago and the new cutterhead is awesome. Cuts beautifully and is very quiet. No need to set knives again. The upgrade kit comes with the bearings installed, longer bolts, 10 replacement inserts and a screw driver for the inserts. I would never go back to a standard cuterhead. Ok, maybe if if was a tersa cutterhead.

~mark