PDA

View Full Version : 1st Platter & another bowl

Tim Brooks
04-01-2008, 9:14 PM
It has been a while since I have had an opportunity to post anything so I thought I would try to show off my first plate/platter and another bowl from the other half of the spalted water oak burl. I have already turned one bowl from it and this one is the other half. I was somewhat limited by it's size and shape as to what I could do with it. I didn't want to waste any more wood than I had to. The spalted water oak burl is absolutely beautiful. I almost hated to use it this early in my learning curve but i simply cannot help myself when it comes to chucking it up. I must turn; I must make it round!

Anyway, the platter is 7 1/4 inches in diameter turned on a Jet mini. It is sweet gum burl. Yes, I said sweet gum.

Thanks for looking and I value your opinion as I want to polish my skills.
Thanks,
Tim

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-01-2008, 9:17 PM
Those are lovely, Tim.

I thought I got some beautiful wood, but a lot of you folks make mine look plain.

Bruce

Steve Schlumpf
04-01-2008, 9:47 PM
Nice work Tim! Both are nice pieces but really like the plate - the wood, the form and finish!

Tom Sherman
04-02-2008, 9:31 AM
Tim I don't believe your learning curve is a hinderance to the beautiful wood at all. These are some very nice pieces.

curtis rosche
04-02-2008, 11:37 AM
thats awsomew wood! the platter looks good. the bowl reminds me of an upside down bell

Tim Brooks
04-02-2008, 11:50 AM
thats awsomew wood! the platter looks good. the bowl reminds me of an upside down bell

Yeah, I am not all that fond of the shape of the bowl either but the burl was tall and narrow so I didn't have much of a choice when it came to shape if I intended on using the piece of wood. I suppose I could have tried my first hollow form but I do not have the proper tools to do that yet.

Thanks for the input given so far. All of you are very kind.

Ben Gastfriend
04-02-2008, 1:16 PM
Wowee! They look great, I especiall like the platter. Some really nice wood there!

Dennis Peacock
04-02-2008, 1:23 PM
Both are nice, but the patter is my 1st pick for top of the litter. :D

Bernie Weishapl
04-02-2008, 8:31 PM
Tim those are beauties. I like the platter.

Skip Spaulding
04-02-2008, 10:42 PM
I like the platter also, great wood and great shape.

Joseph Peacock
04-03-2008, 3:33 PM
AWSOM platter and bowls!!!!!!:cool:

Brian McInturff
04-04-2008, 8:39 AM
Tim, When your ready to do a HF just drive north about 90 miles and you can do a few here. I think I met you back last summer when I attended one of the Charleston club meetings. There was a Tim there anyway. Decided it was just a bit far of a ride since it's during the work week.

Anyway, great job on both pieces. Gotta love turning the oak, even though it's hard on the tools the finished product makes it worth it!!

robert hainstock
04-04-2008, 9:12 AM
You have done some really excellant work on both pieces, and have allowed the hidden beauty of the wood maximum exposure. 10 attaboys! :D:D:D
Bob