PDA

View Full Version : Gast Vacuum Pump Problem??

Jeff Paxton
04-01-2008, 9:03 PM
I need some help. I set up my vacuum system with the GAST 0523-P335-G509DAX 220 VAC VACUUM PUMP from Surplus City, but seem to be having some trouble. I am pretty sure my system setup is fine as I ran it by a couple of folks before I did it. I basically used Steve Schlumpf's setup so I think that part is fine. When I turned the pump on for the first time it was pulling vacuum around 10-12 with nothing on the lathe. When I put my hand over the EZ adapter to feel how much pull I was getting, it moved closer to 20 but then the motor just stopped and just starting buzzing. I turned it off and back on and all it will do is buzz. I took the "Input and Output" hoses off, tried again, just continued to buzz. So the motor ran about 10-15 seconds total, seemed like it was rattling quite a bit as well, but I don't know what it is supposed to sound like. I just let it buzz for a few seconds, and it shut itself off, reset, and when I turned it on again, just buzzed.

So I am thinking the motor must be bad. I got it from Surplus City and plan to call them tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone can offer some help.

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
04-01-2008, 9:43 PM
Jeff - sounds like the motor. Just for a reference - my motor sounds just like the small motors on air compressors - no buzzing. Give the company a call but make sure you check the power connections first - just to make sure. Lots of luck - keep us informed!

Tom Klass
04-02-2008, 3:53 AM
It possabal that a vain in the pump end is broken and jammed the rotor. Pull the end off and see if it is, they are only a carbon type of material and can snap vary easily. That's how I got to own the one I got, one of the companies I worked for bought it hooked it up didn't work from the get go so they were going to through it out. I ask if I could have it ordered the parts from Grainger, works perfictly. Been working for the last four years on vaccum forming.
Tom

Hilel Salomon
04-02-2008, 6:28 AM
Jeff,

I got two of the vacuum pumps over a year ago from the same source.As is often the case, I sat on both of them for over a year (end of warranty) but when I wired one of them recently, I had the same problem. It would go on and within less than a minute shut off. A friend of mine took it apart and said that the "fan blades were broken." Not knowing anything about motors, I asked him to fix it, and he did. He also said that the pump was not surplus new, but used and "reconditioned." I'm waiting to go up to VA and wire the other pump and see what happens. I do know that scores of turners have bought these pumps and very few have had any problems with them but.... Let us know how things work out.
Luck, Hilel.

Randy Degen
04-02-2008, 5:06 PM
Jeff

I had the same problem with my pump the rotor was rubbing inside the housing it runs in they are fit at very close tolerance. The housing had galled marks inside . I called surplus center and they sent me another one it pulls 25in hg. Randy

Jeff Paxton
04-02-2008, 9:27 PM
Thanks for the input. I called Surplus Center and they are sending another one out today, even providing a shipping label for the postage for sending the defective one back. Sure hope that solves the problem. I am ready to get the system up and running.

Hilel Salomon
04-03-2008, 8:48 AM
Randy and Jeff,

Thanks for letting us know this. It's too late for me on this one, but I'm going to try and stop buying things well in advance of my using them. I still have about five motorized tools unopened in their boxes, but when I get back to Columbia, out they come for a test drive. I'm also going to wait a bit before I order some of the things I had in mind. Anyway, glad you were able to get satisfaction from Surplus Supplies.
Luck, Hilel