PDA

View Full Version : I need a new table saw.

Joe Mioux
04-01-2008, 9:03 PM
I just sold my GI 50-185L contractor saw and my Delta 22-580 planer so now I need a new table saw.

any suggestions?

Jim Becker
04-01-2008, 9:12 PM
Well...LOL...I think you can probably imagine what I'd want to suggest if money was no object, but help us out a little with your budget and what you "must have" in a new table saw... ;)

Joe Mioux
04-01-2008, 9:22 PM
yea, a slider would be nice. but it might take up a bit more room in the garage.

although........... a little slider????

Price? I don't know. Sawstop, a slider, PM2000 are on the short list....

jOe

btw, jim know where a guy can find a good quality slider???? ;)

David DeCristoforo
04-01-2008, 10:03 PM
I seriously doubt that anyone here would have the slightest idea about what table saw you should buy....

:D
YM

Peter Quinn
04-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Stop worrying..I've found the saw for you.

http://www.martin-usa.com/cms/_main/sawing/t74-automatic.html

Jim Becker
04-02-2008, 1:01 AM
btw, jim know where a guy can find a good quality slider????

Now that you mention it... LOL :D :D :D I might have some ideas.

Seriously, though, it's really hard to make a qualified recommendation without some guidelines from you on this... ;)

Wes Terry
04-02-2008, 9:17 AM
I have a good friend who just purchased a Grizzly cabinet model and is very pleased with it. I can not recall the model number, but I've seen the saw and was very impressed!

J. Z. Guest
04-02-2008, 9:33 AM
Since you're considering cabinet saws, and since you're American, you should consider one that is or was made in the USA.

Isn't there still a Powermatic model that is US-made? If not, I think it was recently discontinued and you might have luck finding some new old stock.

BTW - What does selling the planer have to do with the purchase of a new table saw? You're still going to need a planer.

Peter - That saw is only 7.37 hp. He doesn't have to settle for that. Go for a full 10 hp I say!

Joe Mioux
04-02-2008, 9:54 AM
Since you're considering cabinet saws, and since you're American, you should consider one that is or was made in the USA.

Isn't there still a Powermatic model that is US-made? If not, I think it was recently discontinued and you might have luck finding some new old stock.

BTW - What does selling the planer have to do with the purchase of a new table saw? You're still going to need a planer.

Peter - That saw is only 7.37 hp. He doesn't have to settle for that. Go for a full 10 hp I say!

Hi Jeremy,

I own a Minimax 12inch jointer/planer combo already so the Planer was surplus.

I have really strong leanings towards the Sawstop. Is that U.S. mfr'd?

Joe

Joe Chritz
04-02-2008, 10:01 AM
The SS is not manufactured here.

There aren't to many saws that are anymore. PM2000? I think and some industrial saws.

The SS is, however, a very fine piece of equipment. Definitely at the top tier of cabinet saws, even without the brake. If you haven't fondled, err, checked one out it is well worth it before deciding on a purchase.

Joe

Eric Haycraft
04-02-2008, 10:33 AM
The 2000 isn't. The 2066 (custom version of the 2000) has the top ground, final assy and finishing done here, but I don't think it is cast here. The 66, if it is still made, is from here. The only other that I know of is northfield, but you are talking serious bucks then.
Grizzly has a mini slider that is fairly light on footprint, but I can't recommend it because I haven't seen it nor read any reviews of it.
My typical recommendation would be the jet deluxe xacta. That is what I have and really like it. They may still be backordered, so keep that in mind. Next on my budget list would be the grizzly 10" with a riving knife followed by the PM 2000. When getting into PM2000 price range, you may as well get the sawstop. It isn't much more than a 2000 and is a great machine. Beyond that, you may as well look at euro sliders. Note that everything that I have suggested so far has a riving knife.

Joe Mioux
04-02-2008, 10:55 AM
When getting into PM2000 price range, you may as well get the sawstop. It isn't much more than a 2000 and is a great machine. Beyond that, you may as well look at euro sliders. Note that everything that I have suggested so far has a riving knife.

Woodcraft has some type of Sale on April 12 on the pm2000 3hp, 50inch rails with some clamps for $2069 or some similar price.

Sawstop? 50 inch rails lean towards $3300.

I had 50 inch rails on my old saw and I liked it, but not for the main reason. I liked the long rails because of the secondary benefit -- nice assembly table.

Any thoughts on length of rails?

Joe

Nancy Laird
04-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Joe, I'd suggest that you take a good look at the Titanium-table Steel City saw. It's a real honey and well within your price range. And the SCTW fences are the smoothest in the business - beat Bies fences all to heck.

http://pro.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=035-630&search=Machinery%20-%20Table%20Saws

Nancy

Eric Haycraft
04-02-2008, 12:49 PM

If space isn't an issue, 50 is the way to go. I downsized from a 52 to a 30 due to space constraints. The 30 is still a huge machine, but I can at least open my car door now.

jason lambert
04-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Well there are many options out there and all good saws I just ordered a SS 30" that was my choice. Besides the obvious features, the quick change riveting knife, thin guard and other features I though this was the best designed saw. Yea the price is a bit higher but my fingers and whoever else works on this some day like my kids are worth a couple extra bucks.

Bob Swenson
04-02-2008, 1:20 PM
We are true SawStop Lovers. Have the Incra fence on it.
Doesn't get much better.
Black and gold, gotta love it.
Bob

Jerry Mah
04-03-2008, 2:37 AM
I'll suggest one that I haven't seen posted here yet. The General 350/650 are both great Canadian made saws. I've used a few 350s and have found them well built. According to General's website, it looks like they've now got a riving knife as well (the ones I've used never had one, just the old style splitter).

Mike Heidrick
04-03-2008, 3:07 AM
I own the sawstop and you will not go wrong owning one at all. You might be broke for awhile but that will pass and you will still have the saw. It is seriously a super high quality cabinet saw.

Be prepared to drop close to 4K or slightly over on it depending on what you buy and what your tax rate and the shipping amount they charge you for it.

ken gibbs
04-03-2008, 6:29 AM
I am buying a Grizzley # 1023, left-tilt, 10", 3 hp, 220 v cabinet saw. After a LOT of study, this saw is the best possible buy in the $1,000 price range. I have to buy the mobile base and inserts so the price will be about $1,200. Call Grizzley and get their catalog. This saw used to be a well kept secret but the news has gotten around.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-03-2008, 11:04 AM
get a look at the Hammer K3 or the Felder 500.
The MM guy here will find you some one locally who has a MM to look at.
Felder runs a huge shop in Delaware where you can test drive their equipment.

Paul Johnstone
04-03-2008, 1:38 PM
yea, a slider would be nice. but it might take up a bit more room in the garage.

although........... a little slider????

Price? I don't know. Sawstop, a slider, PM2000 are on the short list....

jOe

btw, jim know where a guy can find a good quality slider???? ;)

I really love my Jessem-Master-Slide. I was also looking at the big ones (Excalbar? I think).. The nice thing is that the Jessem doesn't take up as much room, although the tradeoff is that you can only crosscut 30 or 32" (can't remember).. Still very adequate for most tasks.

The Jessem really shines when you've got a bunch of drawers to make.
Excellent product that I wished I had bought years ago.

Paul Johnstone
04-03-2008, 1:40 PM

Joe

If your previous saw had 50" rails, then I think you will really regret not getting that length on your new one.
I know they take up a lot of space, but IMO, it's worth it.

Paul B. Cresti
04-03-2008, 7:52 PM
Joe,
Well I am not going to give you my typical reponse from lets say in the past ;) but what I will say is if you are willing to take your time and even spend a bit more do look at all of the sliders that are available. There are so many choices dependant on what your needs are and what your budget is. Do consider even picking up a saw at a local show or even the IWF a lot a great deals to be had especially if you buy before a show and they display your saw.

Some other things to think about is what do you use your table saw for in your shop. Some use it for ripping solid wood (instead of a bandsaw), some use it for panel processing (instead of some guided saw system) and others use for just about everything. Once you decide how you plan on using it that may dictate what you want to look for. Funny thing with me is when I switched to a slider I was looking for an accurate and easy way to crosscut anything!

Rod Sheridan
04-04-2008, 8:52 AM
If you are looking for a North American made saw, I'd suggest the General 650.

I own one, the quality, accuracy, fit and finish are in my opinion, superior to all the other cabinet saws.

That said, if you want the safest cabinet saw, purchase a Saw Stop, if I was going to buy a new cabinet saw, that would be choice, however I wouldn't purchase a cabinet saw again. (No I am not unhappy with the General, it's the best cabinet model out there).

I would purchase a Hammer or Felder or Min Max stand alone sliding saw, or saw/shaper combo if you can afford it.

The cabinet saw although the "standard" in North America, is substantially inferior to the modern European machine, in performance, accuracy, ease of use with solid material or panel material, better safety features and dust collection.

The European machines are well designed and engineered, with many decades of continuous improvement. North American cabinet saws in contrast, really haven't advanced in fifty years.

I know many will view these comments as heresy, however once you start using a slider, in the manner it's designed to be used in, you'll wonder why you didn't get one years ago. (Yes, you will have to re-think your work methods, however the improvement in safety, capability, performance and productivity are well worth it).

I recently bought a Hammer A3-31 planer/jointer, to replace a stand alone jointer and planer. I wish I'd found the European machinery prior to purchasing the General 650...........Regards, Rod.

John Keeton
04-04-2008, 7:21 PM
I am buying a Grizzley # 1023, left-tilt, 10", 3 hp, 220 v cabinet saw. After a LOT of study, this saw is the best possible buy in the $1,000 price range.
Second that!! For the money, there is no comparison. Not the best that money can buy, but the best that $1000 can buy! So, the decision needs to start with a budget. If you have more to spend, then there will be better options. But, at some point, it is sort of like a car. They all get from point A to point B, some with more refinement than others. If you are able to pay for the refinement, then enjoy the blessing and do it!

Gary Herrmann
04-04-2008, 8:34 PM
Hey Joe, I really like my General 650. Come by and take a look if you want.

Joe Mioux
04-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Hey Joe, I really like my General 650. Come by and take a look if you want.

thanks GAry,

I am a huge fan of General and GI. I was in StL yesterday (in meeting downtown) and today buying a flower refer from someone on S. Kingshighway.

I will also be in town tomorrow or Sunday.

PM me with address etc.

I want to stop at WC and check out Saw stop and the pm2000 either tomorrow or sun.

thanks
joe

Gary Herrmann
04-05-2008, 12:41 AM
PM sent Joe.