PDA

View Full Version : Rust Hunt Results

Rob Luter
04-01-2008, 7:49 PM
I've been threatening to post some pics of my rust hunt results, so here we go.

IMG 595 - Nice little coffin smoother
IMG 740 - Two Disston sliding bevels, a Stanley sliding bevel, and a brand new (but pretty old) Stanley 77 Mortise gauge
IMG 742 - A couple of Buck Bros Burnishers (one large, one small), a Millers Falls awl, and a no name awl.
IMG 743 - A Defiance and a Craftsman Egg Beater, all original bits in the handles.
IMG 748 - A nice panel gauge with a cutting blade rather than a pin.

Rob Luter
04-01-2008, 8:00 PM
Round Two

IMG 738 - Top to bottom - A Stanley 63, a 51, an OLD #53, and 3 #80 scrapers with two different casting types.

IMG 745 - A german Scrub Plane and German Smoother from a flea market on the Rhine (thanks Judy!)

IMG 749 L to R - Stanley #3, #4, #4 1/2, Low knob #5, #5C, Veritas LA Jack (no rust here!), Nice transitional jack, Stanley #7. In front is a 60 1/2 and a LV medium shoulder plane (no rust!)

David Tiell
04-01-2008, 8:06 PM
Very nice scores!!!

Rob Luter
04-01-2008, 8:07 PM
Round 3

IMG 757 - Very clean D8 Crosscut
IMG 763 - Nice D8 Rip with thumbhole ($1.00 :D)
IMG 769 - Pennsylvania Dovetail Saw fine crosscut with porky handle)
IMG 766 - Jackson Cast Steel dovetail 13TPI Rip
IMG 765 - 1912 era Disston #4, 13PPI Crosscut ($1.00 :D)

Rob Luter
04-01-2008, 8:10 PM
The nice thing about all these is nothing really cost much. I keep my eyes open at antique malls and flea markets and manage to find really good users. The saws are amazing for the price paid. I'm in Northern Indiana so there's no shortage of places to find good old tools.

David Tiell
04-01-2008, 8:37 PM
The nice thing about all these is nothing really cost much. I keep my eyes open at antique malls and flea markets and manage to find really good users. The saws are amazing for the price paid. I'm in Northern Indiana so there's no shortage of places to find good old tools.
I usually do pretty well when I go back home to northern Ohio, but last month didn't come back with much of anything. Just a couple Disston saws that need a good cleaning, one of which also needs a new handle.

Again, nice hunting!

Jim Koepke
04-02-2008, 12:23 AM
Most of this came from an estate sale last weekend.

The 5-1/2 was won on eBay. It was mentioned here in a thread on how to look for things on eBay. It is pretty much what was expected and it is intended to be posted again with pictures and what is being done to get it in shape.

Except for the Cresent brand chisel in the upper right corner, everything else is from one estate sale. A Disston back saw, unbranded small tap holder, a couple of no name chisels, a brace drill bit, a few brace screw driver blades one is a Jennings the counter sink is made by Starrett.

I am curious if anyone knows about the Cresent chisel. It is all steel and bevelled like a wood working chisel. Has anyone seen something like this?

jim

George Sanders
04-02-2008, 7:20 AM
Nice haul there. Things have kind of dried up around my home. It's been too cold for yard sales which is where I've got some of my best buys. I have yet to find a decent dovetail saw.

James Carmichael
04-02-2008, 5:31 PM
Do wooden planes qualify as "rust":confused:

Jim Koepke
04-02-2008, 5:34 PM
Do wooden planes qualify as "rust":confused:

Are the blades also made of wood?

Lots to rust on some of those transitionals.

jim

Rob Luter
04-03-2008, 4:35 AM
Ironwood :rolleyes:

Ken Martin
04-03-2008, 8:09 PM
At a local tool swap last sunday I got two Disston #12 London Spring saws for $10 each. One is a 26" 8 point that needs sharpening and minor work, the other is a 24" 11 point with shiny blade and sharp teeth. It is going on my use rack.

Ken

Wayne Wheeling
04-03-2008, 8:23 PM
Rob, Love those saw scores! I can't score around here no matter how hard I look! Love that D-8 Rip! If you ever decide to sell any of those scores, let us know first!:):D:D:)

John Dykes
04-04-2008, 9:46 AM
Wow.... Lucky bast--- err fella!

The "antique" stores in Denver charge $70 for a rusty D7.

I need to move back to Kentucky!

- jbd

Jim Koepke
04-04-2008, 11:14 PM
About the Crescent chisel. From of all places, the Crescent Tool Catalog No. 24.

Because of file size limit, could not upload the whole blurb on this, but this pretty much tells it all.

Found this catalog at Rose Tools.

What the heck did people do before the internet to find information? I have done research in libraries, but I can not get to one in a few minutes let alone find the information for which I am looking.

jtk