PDA

View Full Version : PSI Vs. Beall

Greg Just
04-01-2008, 7:23 PM
Can anyone compare the 3 step buffing system from PSI against the Beall system? PSI's is $40 cheaper

Thanks!

Paul Douglass
04-01-2008, 9:49 PM
It's $40 cheaper. Couldn't resist, I don't know the difference, sorry.

Tom Steyer
04-01-2008, 10:16 PM
I believe the PSI is built on a smaller mandrel. The Beall is a 3/4" bore on the wheels, and the PSI is 5/8". Maybe not a big deal on a short mandrel shaft, not sure.

Don't know about the quality of the PSI wheels since I have never seen them personally

Rich Stewart
04-01-2008, 10:27 PM
I got a PSI buffer and it is very small. Good for pens but not much else. I don't know if it is the same one you are talking about.

Thomas Canfield
04-01-2008, 10:33 PM
You ought to check out the buffing system from Don Pencil also.

byron constantine
04-01-2008, 10:41 PM
I have this buffer and it has 8" wheels and does a good job as well as i can tell.
Byron

Greg Just
04-01-2008, 11:07 PM
this is the buffer from PSI

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lbuffsys.html

robert hainstock
04-02-2008, 7:53 AM
I use the PSI system, and I find little differance in the quality of the wheels. I did however remove the waxing wheel to another mandrel I had, And spred the two remaining wheels out to both ends of the shaft. I also would note the MT seems a litttle small. :p
Bob

Gordon Seto
04-02-2008, 9:04 AM
I got the Don Pencil "Wood N Things" from Rockler. It seems they are not as thick as Beall (especially the wax wheel) and they constantly shred threads all over. May be just grass always seems greener at your neighbors' lawn.

Unless you are doing small objects, the 3 in 1 won't allow you access to inside of bowls.

Rasmus Petersen
04-02-2008, 9:13 AM
I have a home made set, and a complete beall set... actually the home done wheels are coarser and don't shred that much, but work great. the beall set made me look like Santa yesterday when i started using it, and i dit the coars sandpaper treatment... and shop vac ting.. Still it shreds a LOT... felt like a sheep farmer with all that white stuff everywhere...

Dennis Peacock
04-02-2008, 1:35 PM
Look up Caswell Plating via Google and get your buffs and compounds from them. Really VERY affordable and the buff choices are very plentiful. I'm not affiliated, just a satisfied customer. They have buffs all the way up to 12". ;)

Oh...one more thing....watch their site as the go on "sale" at times with a buy-one-get-one-free kind of deal. :D

Mike Minto
04-02-2008, 2:21 PM
I made one from 5/8" all-thread, some bolts and washers some inexpensive buffs from HF, and compound via the web. Works great.

Warren Gibson
04-02-2008, 3:46 PM
Look up Caswell Plating via Google and get your buffs and compounds from them. Really VERY affordable and the buff choices are very plentiful. I'm not affiliated, just a satisfied customer. They have buffs all the way up to 12". ;)

Oh...one more thing....watch their site as the go on "sale" at times with a buy-one-get-one-free kind of deal. :D

Dennis, which wheels did you purchase? Do you use them on both CA finishes as well as Acrylics an PR castings?

-warren