PDA

View Full Version : dust collection

Mike Stanton
03-25-2004, 5:21 PM
:confused: My chips and saw dust pas throught my garbage can second right to my dust collector bags. How can I make it to stay in my garbage can? Mike

Jim Becker
03-25-2004, 5:50 PM
:confused: My chips and saw dust pas throught my garbage can second right to my dust collector bags. How can I make it to stay in my garbage can? Mike

The most common problem for this situation is not having an absolute seal between the lid and the can. (as well as the duct, itself, where it enters and leaves the can-top) You cannot have ANY leakage; even a very small amount will cause blow-by. The other possibility is that your DC is pulling more air than the garbage can method can handle...one of the reasons that this form of separator cannot be effectively used with 6" duct.

Mike Stanton
03-25-2004, 6:10 PM
The most common problem for this situation is not having an absolute seal between the lid and the can. (as well as the duct, itself, where it enters and leaves the can-top) You cannot have ANY leakage; even a very small amount will cause blow-by. The other possibility is that your DC is pulling more air than the garbage can method can handle...one of the reasons that this form of separator cannot be effectively used with 6" duct.

Jim I use 4 hose. It worked fine with my old planer. The 735 has a fan on it will inflate the bags if you forget to turn the dust collector on. Mike

Mike Stanton
03-26-2004, 12:51 PM
Jim what about using a second trash can separter do you think it will slow the air down? I am not the only one that has this problem it is the dewalt 735 planer it has a blower to eject the chips. It blows so hard that it will inflate the upper bag if you don't turn the dust collector on. Mike

JayStPeter
03-26-2004, 1:35 PM
As usual, I think Jim hit the nail on the head.

You either have a leak, or are flowing too much air for your separator.

If you don't have a leak, then you have to either get a separator designed for your airflow, or decrease the airflow.

Oneida and PSI both sell cyclone bodies you could use as a separator upgrade, or you could build your own (do a search, there's tons of threads on this subject).

To get by for now, you could try adding 10' of hose to the planer to reduce airflow. If that's not enough, a 4"-2.5"-4" bottleneck ought to do the trick. BTW, airflow reduction is contrary to good DC, don't use this on your other machines with less efficient dust ports.
Good Luck

Jay

Jim Becker
03-26-2004, 1:45 PM
Jim what about using a second trash can separter do you think it will slow the air down? I am not the only one that has this problem it is the dewalt 735 planer it has a blower to eject the chips. It blows so hard that it will inflate the upper bag if you don't turn the dust collector on. Mike

I don't know the answer to the question Mike, but suspect this would only take up more space, etc. I was also unaware of the "blower" aspect of the DW planer. Can it be turned off?

Other than that, Jay's idea for using something more of a cyclone as a pre-separator is also of merit as long as your blower is at least 12" dia/1.5hp or preferably 2hp. A true cyclone works a lot better for separation than the trash can setup.

Jamie Buxton
03-26-2004, 1:46 PM
I had that problem, and found that I could reduce it by changing the direction of the air flow coming into the drop box. I suspect that what's happening to you is that your air flow is aimed right down at the bottom of the barrel. Any chips that might attempt to fall down into the bottom get blown back up into the air by the incoming blast. I put a deflector panel in the way of the incoming air to prevent it from scouring the bottom of the barrel. That at least succeeded in keeping hand-plane shavings and similar big stuff in the drop box. I figure that's the primary reason for the drop box -- keeping handplane shavings from wrapping themselves around the impeller, and preventing larger chunks of wood from exploding through the impeller like firecrackers.

Mike Stanton
03-26-2004, 6:13 PM
The trash can lid has a elbow inside to make it work like a cyclone Mikie

I had that problem, and found that I could reduce it by changing the direction of the air flow coming into the drop box. I suspect that what's happening to you is that your air flow is aimed right down at the bottom of the barrel. Any chips that might attempt to fall down into the bottom get blown back up into the air by the incoming blast. I put a deflector panel in the way of the incoming air to prevent it from scouring the bottom of the barrel. That at least succeeded in keeping hand-plane shavings and similar big stuff in the drop box. I figure that's the primary reason for the drop box -- keeping handplane shavings from wrapping themselves around the impeller, and preventing larger chunks of wood from exploding through the impeller like firecrackers.