PDA

View Full Version : Finial Question

Richard Madison
04-01-2008, 5:59 PM
Is there a suggested height, rule of thumb, or common practice for the height of a finial as a function of the height of the associated box or hollow form?

Scott Hubl
04-01-2008, 6:09 PM
Go on over to "thewoodworkingchannelDOTcom"
And watch the Cindy Drozda Vid. She is the Master of beautiful Finials.

Her 2 DVD's are worth investing in.;)

Bernie Weishapl
04-01-2008, 7:30 PM
Richard I have talked with Cindy Drozda and got her first DVD. In it she goes over a pretty piece on how to select the height vs. the piece you are turning. Her other one is as good.

Curt Fuller
04-01-2008, 9:16 PM
I'm no Cindy Drozda for sure, but my 2 cents worth is this....A finial should provide an accent for the piece it's mounted on. Something like an exclaimation point. Too big is overwhelming, too small goes unnoticed. How's that for being 'clear as mud'?

Richard Madison
04-02-2008, 12:21 PM
In the vid on ww channel Cindy says she prefers to have either more finial or more box. Guess I was looking for something a bit more specific, like a 2/3 rule, or that magic number (1.6??).

Ben Gastfriend
04-02-2008, 1:10 PM
I draw out a full size drawing before, and if the finial looks like it overwhelms the piece, it probably does. And that goes the vice-versa direction as well. If it looks stubby on paper, it probably will once turned. 2/3 Doesn't sound bad, but I would still do a little drawing.