PDA

View Full Version : Drum Sander question

Stephen Edwards
04-01-2008, 3:18 PM
I've found a company that has some Performax 16-32 drum sanders. My understanding is that Jet has bought out Performax and now puts the Jet name on the same sander. Is this correct? Does it make any difference which sander, Jet or Performax, a person buys. In other words, are they in fact the same sander. Thanks for your info.

Michael Boyle
04-01-2008, 10:14 PM
I have had the Performax 16-32 for the past couple of years. I recently was at Woodcraft and saw that my sander is now labeled as a Jet product. If there are any differences between them, it was very minor. The more recent models have a protector that ensures the maximum feed rate that will prevent an overload. My sander does not have that feature, but I do not know if that came only with the Jet unit or was available when it was still marketed under the Performax name. Beyond that difference, everything else appeared to be identical. From what I have read, the parent company of Jet and Performax has begun to use the Performax name on a line of tools that are being sold at Mernards. I suspect they decided to begin selling their drum sander under the Jet name since it would not fit in with the tool lines that are being marketed at a big box type of retailer.