PDA

View Full Version : Here's the first steps of the segmented ring

Bill Wyko
04-01-2008, 12:42 PM
Here's the first steps of the feature ring that I started last weekend. First I cut my material down to size on the bandsaw. Then I drum sanded it to uniform thickness. Once this is done I stack a dark, light, dark assembly and glue this up. Now this goes int the vacuum bag. Then I cut a small piece from this, turn it 45 degrees and glue it up. Now i stack some more pieces and glue some more until I get the pattern you see here.

Bill Wyko
04-01-2008, 2:30 PM
Then I cut those pieces at 45 degrees to make 4 triangles. Now they get glued up into a square.

Frank Kobilsek
04-01-2008, 3:38 PM
Bill

I did a little simple segmenting when I first started turning while I waited a year for the early rough outs to cure. Even got Best of Show at the County fair with a segmented bowl. But as soon as the rough turn stack got big enough and dry enough I put my Incra miter gauge up on the wall where it belongs. You segmenters have a special type of mental illness reserved all to yourselves. I like to make nice stuff and I might kill 8 or 10 hours carving on a piece when I get done turning it but the great part about carving is you don't have to sand. Segmenters still have to sand (Sanding: the only bad thing about turning). Worse yet you have to sand tiny little pieces to make them fit together. Your a sick sick puppy. That said, don't go back on your meds until you get this one done. I look forward to the pictures.

Frank

Bill Wyko
04-01-2008, 4:59 PM
Thanks Frank. I have to do projects that take a long time otherwise I'll have too much stuff and no where to put it. I already have a display of my stuff at work. LOML has tooo muuuucccchhh stuff:D

Bernie Weishapl
04-01-2008, 7:53 PM
Thanks Bill for posting. I am interested in how this goes.

Bill Wyko
04-01-2008, 8:21 PM
Most likely slow.:D

Bill Wyko
04-01-2008, 8:25 PM
Once I cut the pieces into 45s I used the cut off th make the part of the segment that will allow the miter cut w/o affecting the design.

michael gallagher
04-01-2008, 9:30 PM
Thanks for posting...I'm looking forward to watching its progress.

Mike Golka
04-01-2008, 9:47 PM
Bill I love it already! Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I count 100 pieces per segment!! Thats just crazy, in a good way. I've dabbled a little but it will be a long time before I'll tackle anything on that scale. Keep the pics comming.

Paul Douglass
I don't understand any of it, but thanks for posting. Maybe I'll catch up as this progresses:confused:.

Steve Mawson
Sure got my interest.

Bill Wyko
04-01-2008, 10:12 PM
its either 100 or 102:confused:I'll have to go out to the shop and count the real thing.:rolleyes:

Bill Wyko
04-02-2008, 3:07 PM
I'm also building a Humidor and a jewelry box at the same time:eek:I'll try to make more progress this weekend. I need a total of 9 of these segments before I can glue up the ring.

Doug Reesor
04-02-2008, 5:52 PM
Really cool design work! It always amazes me how the geometric simplicity of the gluing process can yield such complex pieces of art. Great work!!

Bill Wyko
04-02-2008, 6:21 PM
I actually got the pattern idea from a coloring book for kids.:o