PDA

View Full Version : 17 inch bench drill press

Richard A. Rivera, M.D.
04-01-2008, 12:24 PM
I am lookin for a larger capacity bench top drill press...I know that a floor model is "better", but in my shop a bench top works best.

All I seem to find is a capacity of 14 inch. Does any one know of a bench drill press of large size at a fair price?

I have thought of geting a floor press (i.e. the Steel City 17in) and cutting the post to fit my needs. Any comment on this?

My first time to post here...usually I am in the vortex with the turners...something about flying wood shavings that cannot be explained.

Dr. R..

J. Z. Guest
04-01-2008, 1:39 PM
Richard: A benchtop model was right for my shop, but not because I put it on a bench. For me, it was the price & features that did it, along with the fact that cabinet space below the press is more valuable than that extra drilling capacity.

I got this variable speed Ryobi (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100497932) and am very happy with it. Since it is so easy to change speeds, I always use the right speed. It also got high marks for not slipping under high torque drilling compared to its peers.

I assume there's something special you need that extra 2.5" of radius for?

scott spencer
04-01-2008, 2:32 PM
There are several radial benchtop models that have ~ 34 inch swing. Griz (http://grizzly.com/products/5-Speed-Bench-Top-Radial-Drill-Press/G7945), HF, Shop Fox...

Bill Wyko
04-01-2008, 4:35 PM
Check out Rikon. They make some very nice BTBPs'

Richard A. Rivera, M.D.
04-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the info. I also need a slower speed 100 -200 rpm for some of my large Forstner bits. Most of the bench tops I have found have a low speed of 500 rpm.

Rob Will
04-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the info. I also need a slower speed 100 -200 rpm for some of my large Forstner bits. Most of the bench tops I have found have a low speed of 500 rpm.

Richard,

I would suggest a geared head benchtop drill / mill from Grizzly, HF, Enco etc. They have a low speed of 60 rpm, a t-slotted table for attaching hold downs and fixtures, a dual cross slide table for exact positioning, and will drill to the center of a 22" circle.

Rob