PDA

View Full Version : To get or not to get DW735???

Kelvin McConnell
04-01-2008, 11:45 AM
I have an opportunity to get a new in box Dewalt DW735 ~$350. I know that it’s a great price, but wondered if the cost of the replacement blades should be a show stopper. The planer will get light use, actually none till I get my shop setup in the basement. :( When I do get setup it will be wood that I will get locally (Poplar, Oak, Walnut, etc.), a lot of Poplar since I can get my own. I was hoping I might be able to get a spare set of blades from Dewalt customer service, as others have posted, because of the “problem” with the blades.

Rick Gifford
04-01-2008, 11:53 AM
I'd buy it in a heartbeat for that price. I thought I did well when I found it under $500. I havent used my planer enough to tell about the blades. From the use so far I really like the tool. Your price is real good!

Jason Beam
04-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Not just blades - but add in $50 bucks for the in/out feed tables - they're practically required to keep snipe down, most folks have discovered.

jason lambert
04-01-2008, 12:33 PM
i just bought one for 450. unless you are a production shop dont worry about the blades, besides what other plainer will you get for near that cost

Richard M. Wolfe
04-01-2008, 3:14 PM
Sounds like a deal to me. I have an old Dewalt and I've not seen or used the 735 to compare the two but the 735 should be a lot more machine and I paid $400 some time back. Mine came with a spare set of knives; don't know what the situation is on the newer ones.

Dave Stuve
04-01-2008, 3:26 PM
I've used my 735 heavily for 2 years, and am now thinking about replacing the blades - that's what, $25/year? I wouldn't sweat it. Make sure you get the infeed/outfeed tables - they're really a requirement.

DeWalt's mobile base for the 735 is really nice too for the price...

Dave

Mike Henderson
04-01-2008, 3:26 PM
Grab that sucker! I paid $300 used for mine and thought I got a great deal - with no extras. Blades have not been a problem for me after the first set.

Mike

jim gossage
04-01-2008, 3:28 PM
i agree with others here. i have had my 735 for 3 or 4 years, and have replaced the blades once. i am mainly a WWW (weekend wood warrior).

Dave Rader
04-01-2008, 3:45 PM
I've used my 735 for a while now and really like it. That price is $100 less than I paid for mine on sale! I'd snap it up. I concur with the other posters about the absolute necessity of the infeed-outfeed tables. With those in place snipe is easily managed.

Eric Fuller
04-01-2008, 3:49 PM
If you're a hobbyist and working with soft stuff like walnut, mahogany, etc. I'd say go for it.

If you plan on running a lot of material through it and/or like to use dense exotics or lots of hard maple, I'd pass and find a DW733 somewhere, or buy a real (stationary) planer.

Vic Damone
04-01-2008, 5:31 PM
That's a great price, you can't lose. I'd through it on Craigs List for $475 firm and start shopping for a used stationary machine.

Considering my frustration with the DeWalt blade issue I simply can't recommend the 735 but there are some happy owners out there, you might be one of them. Even if your not you should be able to get your money back selling it used.

Vic

Chris Stolicky
04-01-2008, 6:35 PM
I just ordered one for a similar price. I am only a hobbiest so I am hoping that it will be okay. I have been reading another thread and there seems to be some really unhappy people with this machine. Although, its hard to tell if they are expecting absolute perfection, or there is truly a wide spread problem.

I wonder what, if anything, DeWalt is doing? I am sure that if the problem is really as wide spread as some people are indicating, the company does not want that kind of bad press and a loss of buyers. Brand image carries across all tools made by a company.

One interesting point someone made - what if its a machine problem (QA/QC) rather than blades?