PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a Cyclone Lid?

Brian Kent
04-01-2008, 11:19 AM
My dust collection is a Delta 50-760 in the middle of the shop.
I also use a Jet filtration unit overhead.

I am setting up an 8" jointer and would like to use a trash can with a cyclone lid for chip collection. With the low cost I just want to buy one rather than make one. I'll use a 30 gallon trash can right next to the dust collector.

1) Is one better than another?

2) Do I just want to use it going from the jointer to the dust collector or use it for everything? I'll be using about 4' of 4" flex hose.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Randal Stevenson
04-01-2008, 11:54 AM
The WHOLE point of the seperator, is making LESS WORK to empty the dust collector. Why would you want to remove it for use on the tablesaw, planer, etc?

Keep it hooked up.

As for low cost, I have a purchased one, and am planning on using scraps to build Phil's (scraps are cheap, right?)

Josiah Bartlett
04-01-2008, 11:58 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=69765

This shopmade one is the best.

Jason Beam
04-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Next best is to get the black plastic one - but not just any. I have strong distaste for most of the ones that i see where both the inlet and outlet are at opposing angles to one another - that will NOT setup the most effective circular action.

The best lid to buy is one where the outlet is in the very center and the intake is running in at a pretty shallow angle around the outside. This will setup the most effective circular motion possible without going with Phil Thien's baffle - even then, his baffle would improve this type even further :)

David Romano
04-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Since you have a DC and not a shop vac, the best application for the Phil Thien baffle is to locate it inside the separator ring. There are previous threads describing this. I did it and it works great.

David

Anthony Whitesell
04-01-2008, 1:48 PM
Keeping it hooked up (supposedly) robs CFMs from the DC. I have heard/seen the suggestion of using a separator only with a planer and joiner and removing (either move a hose or 2 blast gates and a Y) it for use on the tablesaw, and drum sander, etc. The TS and DS don't make many chips so by the time the can is full from the joiner and planer you could just empty the DC bag in to the trash can and only make one trip to empty it.

Just my $0.02.

glenn bradley
04-01-2008, 2:15 PM
I have the Woodcraft style lid on my Delta and it works fine but puts quite a hit on your draw. I can fill the trash can a half dozen time or so and only end up with a couple gallons of fines in the bag. The Jet or Lee Valley style seem better designed as they have no right angle in the path. I use a small Rockler for the shop vac (no right angle) and it works pretty well but does allow more past the bucket than the Woodcraft design.

JohnT Fitzgerald
04-01-2008, 2:43 PM
that's an amazing demo of Phil's system.

David Romano
04-02-2008, 7:47 PM
Here's the thing about a DC and why the separator is a necessity: If you want good filtration, you have to have a canister. Other wise you have a dust pump. Using a 1 micron bag doesn't cut it because it does not have enough square footage to handle the CFM we want to put through it. So getting the canister is the first step. Go to http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm for the canister. I bought the paper blend with 274 sqft.

Next, if you use a canister without a separator, the canister cloggs, killing the airflow and slowly ruining the filter. So then we build a "flapper" or buy an OEM one that is overpriced. The flapper is not very effective on the narrow pleats of the high sqft paper filter, maybe it is better on the spun bond, which has only about 100 sqft.

That's when you realize that the only way to properly use a DC, as opposed to a cyclone, is to have Phil Thien's baffle. Sure, the baffle in the DC or in an inline separator is going to cost you some airflow, no argument there. But, this amount is probably much less than a clogged filter would cause, and it would be fairly constant over time, unlike a clogging filter.

I have a Jet DC 1200, with the cartridge from Wynn and Phil's baffle built right into my separator ring. It works like a charm. No chips go into the canister, only some fine dust, which is unavoidable even with a good cyclone.

Hats off to Mr. Thien for curing my woes.

David