PDA

View Full Version : Woodmaster knife/cutter question.

James Suzda
04-01-2008, 7:21 AM
I’ve got a question for the Woodmaster users. Woodmaster’s stock T&G flooring knives do not cut a 1/32 “back bevel” on the bottom part of the tongue or the groove cut. (Their knives are straight across.) Also, I need to order a set of knives that make the small relief cut on top so when the flooring is installed it has a small “V” groove between the boards.
Would you buy a set of stock knives, and grind down the top of the knife yourself, or have them make a set of custom knives for $30.00 more. This seems a tad expensive just to grind a 1/32nd off the edge of one knife.
Thanks for you opinion.

Faust M. Ruggiero
04-01-2008, 7:34 AM
Jim,

If you are buying one knife and two counter weights you have a bit more leeway when changing a stock profile. If you buy two and expect them to line up exactly, you might want them cut by the computer.
Did you check the exact difference in price between custom and stock? Over enough linear feet, it might be minimal.

Faust Ruggiero

Joe Von Kaenel
04-16-2008, 2:20 PM
James,

The knives I've purchased from Woodmaster are high quality steel and are balanced with the gib. If you grind off part of the knife you will probably get a lot more vibration. I have also purchased knives from http://www.moldingknives.com/. Maybe there custom knives are cheaper.
I hope I didn't insult your intelligence.

Joe