PDA

View Full Version : Side Rabbet Plane to clean up / enlarge dados?

Will Blick
04-01-2008, 2:47 AM
Any experience with this LN plane? Seems practical to smooth out dado walls.... or enlarge them slightly...but it seems the blade is cutting the grain in a strange and unpredictable angle, making the cuts not so smooth?

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/images/99_lg.jpg

Will Blick
04-01-2008, 2:48 AM
http://www.lie-nielsen.com/images/9899new.jpg

Robert Rozaieski
04-01-2008, 9:34 AM
I had the Stanley equivalents a few years ago and they work very well for their intended purpose, with and across the grain, due to the very low cutting angle of the iron.

Wilbur Pan
04-01-2008, 9:55 AM
If a regular rabbet plane works for you, there's no reason to believe that the side rabbet plane won't work as well. It's just a mini rabbet plane turned 90 degrees.

I've found that the key to using rabbet planes, side or otherwise, is to make sure that the pointy tip is in good alignment with the corner of the plane while keeping the cutting edge in good alignment with the mouth. This is the most difficult part of using rabbet planes, as you can't always use a lateral adjustment to get there.

Mark Stutz
04-01-2008, 1:24 PM
You have to hold your mouth just right sometimes to adjust them:D, but they work exactly as intended. I find pulling them is usually easier than pushing. If you are not used to freehand honing it is a little bit intimidating at first, but since these are for delicate work, all you do is hone.

Jim Koepke
04-01-2008, 1:56 PM
One key point is to only take light cuts. Mine are usually set and left. If the blade is taken out to hone, then the blade is set wiith a piece of scrap to take a very light cut.

Another thing is to make sure the bottom point of the balde is not below the skate. It will dig in and cause problems. This can be compensated a little with the depth adjustment.

When setting the blade, the plane can be pushed or pulled on some scrap with the clamping screw a little loose. Push the blade with a thumb or finger as you are moving along the scrap. This may take a few times, but eventually, you will get the feel for it.

When tightening the blade clamping screw, be careful that the blade is properly seated and do not tighten with the grip of Heurcules. Over tightening can cause cracks at the top of the mouth.

This is one place you want to see clearly if you are buying one of these off of the auction site that shall not be named.

Another thing you want to make sure of is that the screw holding on the reversable front piece turns freely.

It is my recomendation that these should not be bought without the proper depth stop. I have seen many of these for sale. I do not recall ever seeing the depth stop and screw for sale seperately. If you do, let me know. There is a spare 98 in my shop that needs one. Note, the 98 & 99 take diferent stops.

jim

Wilbur Pan
04-01-2008, 2:57 PM
Jim,

I'm assuming you're talking about a Lie-Nielsen 98 and 99. If so, have you tried calling up Lie-Nielsen directly to see if they can sell you the spare parts?

Jim Koepke
04-02-2008, 6:31 PM
Jim,

I'm assuming you're talking about a Lie-Nielsen 98 and 99. If so, have you tried calling up Lie-Nielsen directly to see if they can sell you the spare parts?

They are Stanley models. I have a very nice set and one set that I have been thinking of selling. One was made before depth stops and the other is missing its depth stop. I was thinking of parting them out. Have not decided yet. Niether of them is in great condition.

The knob is the same size as a No. 1. There have been enough sold on eBay with short blades that someone may want a replacement.

I do not know if LN uses the same threads as Stanley. That is doubtful.

jim

Tony Zaffuto
04-02-2008, 8:00 PM
When you need them, they're a life saver! SWMBO bought the LN set four or five years ago. when she did, she also ordered a replacement blade for each. I explained that I appreciated the extra blade for each, but it would take ten lifetimes of my amount of woodworking to wear out a blade on one of these!

T.Z.

Jim Koepke
04-02-2008, 9:31 PM
I explained that I appreciated the extra blade for each, but it would take ten lifetimes of my amount of woodworking to wear out a blade on one of these!

T.Z.

A co-worker showed me a knife of his. He keeps trying to sharpen it, but all he does is wear the blade down. He is a bit stubborn in his ways and insists he is doing it right even though it never gets sharp. I have given up trying to help him.

I see a lot of plane irons that look like they have suffered a similar fate. I once made the mistake of letting someone try to sharpen a knife of mine. I resisted, but they finally talked me into it. This was before I learned how to sharpen blades. They made a mess of it. Now, I will likely not let anyone try to sharpen for me unless they are in training and it is me doing the training.

jim