PDA

View Full Version : I need some play time......

Ken Fitzgerald
03-31-2008, 11:27 PM
The last couple of weeks at work have been a booger! Last Monday I started coming down with the flu even though the LOML and I had the flu shots. Last Tuesday and Wednesday I took off and stayed home sick. Thursday my counterpart needed some help so I went back to work and worked Friday too. Saturday I was still running a fever. Sunday I had gotten over the fever but was still "tired". Today....still tired but....I"m off on vacation this week. The LOML is on "spring break' and I try to spend some time with her. You know I love because I agreed to drive to Moscow, Idaho tomorrow and go "shopping" with her.:rolleyes:

But after these last few months....it's been finishing the shop. I need to play. Thursday I've got a huge amount of yard work to do. I suspect that will carry into the weekend. So.......................I need to play.

I got some Lacer skews.....I finally got them sharpened. I think tomorrow and Wednesday it's time to learn the curved skew techniques displayed on my Lacer videos....I need some lathe time!

Bernie Weishapl
03-31-2008, 11:41 PM
Yep I hear ya Ken. I have the flu with fever for 12 days about 3 weeks ago. It hit me hard. I had the flu shot to but they said another strain reared it's ugly head a year early so the shot didn't cover it. I finially got some time in the shop after a month of not be able to turn. Hang in there it will come and besides you owe the LOYL some time. :D:rolleyes:;)

Burt Alcantara
03-31-2008, 11:41 PM
Ken,
This year's batch of flu shots were only 40% effective. I got the shots and had mild flu for most of the winter.

Have fun with the Lacer skews. Once I get the knack for sharpening my, yes, HF skews to razor sharpness, I'll spring for the Lacer skews.

Burt

Ken Fitzgerald
03-31-2008, 11:57 PM
Burt,

I fell in love with my 3/4" Robert Larson skew. It's just a plain old straight skew. I use the skew attachment on my Wolverine jig. It sharpens it quickly and great everytime.

The Lacer "curved" skews.....you have to free hand sharpen them. I spent the better part of a day learning that back in January. Now it's time to apply them to some wood.

Steve Schlumpf
04-01-2008, 12:13 AM
Ken - hope you get to feeling back to normal real soon! Have fun with the skews!

Joel Sauder
04-01-2008, 12:35 AM
Ken,

I hope you feel better soon too. Seems like the flu really rolled through Lewiston this year.

However I think that it is only fair that if you give that new skew a workout, you had better give that new Ellsworth PM bowl gouge a workout too, you would not want it to feel neglected!

Joel

Jim Becker
04-01-2008, 12:36 AM
Ken, I think you need a vacation...anyone who falls in love with a skew has got to have a need to chill...LOL :D :D :D

Oh, and there have been a bunch of nasty flue and flue-like illnesses going around that hit you no matter if you had the shots or not. Not pleasant at all...