PDA

View Full Version : Flexible Sanding Strips

Andrew Pezzo
03-31-2008, 10:30 PM
I tried cutting a thin strip from a 2x4 and it wasnt nearly as flexible as I would expect. Anybody want to share how they go about making one?

Peter Quinn
03-31-2008, 10:41 PM
I use hardwood and a drum sander. Its usually well below 1/8" when it achieves the flexibility I like. Fir may be a bad choice as it doesn't have much strength at the thickness required. I have ripped them on a TS in a pinch but it usually takes several attempts to get the thickness correct.

Jim Tobias
04-01-2008, 12:02 AM
Andrew,
When I did not have any thin wood strips laying around, I have used a strip of brown hardboard. It is the thin 1/8th" thick stuff that you can buy in 4'x8' sheets if you ever need it that big. I'm sure you can buy small 2'x2' pieces and rip it into as many as you like. It is very flexible and holds up well wiht the sandpaper attached.

Jim

Rick Levine
04-01-2008, 12:44 AM
I made one out of 1/4" ply and thinned it with my drum sander to make it more flexible. I would have preferred using bending ply but I haven’t been able to locate any where I live. I used some 3M adhesive spay to attach the paper and made some handles out of some scrap wood I shaped with my belt sander and attached by counter sinking screws through the ply into the two handles.

Andrew Pezzo
04-01-2008, 7:44 AM
Thanks. These are better ideas then what I was going to try.

Vernon Taylor
04-01-2008, 8:01 AM
Most of the BORGS sell prebent plywood>:)

Peter Quinn
04-01-2008, 8:18 AM
Most of the BORGS sell prebent plywood>:)

LOL. Still LOL. Still LOL!: rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: