PDA

View Full Version : Changing Blades on a Bandsaw and Protecting the Carbide Teeth

jim oakes
03-31-2008, 8:56 PM
I'am about to get a $200 blade and I want to ask if anyone has any tips. I never (well almost never) touch my carbide circular saw blades on any metal.

Is it possible to install and remove a bandsaw blade without dragging the teeth on metal?

Do the blades come with a plastic ( like a slit tube) tooth protector you can slide on to remove a blade?

Mark Singer
03-31-2008, 9:15 PM
The Trimaster has a plastic shipping edge thingy. Just put on gloves and slowly undo the coil and slide it in.

Lance Norris
03-31-2008, 10:20 PM
When I install a 3/4" blade(max on my saw), I remove the table. This keeps me from twisting the blade and nicking the teeth. I dont use a carbide blade, but this should help you as well.

Matt Ocel
03-31-2008, 10:30 PM
Jim - I was going to go with a carbide then picked the wood slicer, put it on adjusted everything, adjusted for drift (twice) it slices like the cats meow. I was pleasantly surprised. I think they were around $25.

Stephen Edwards
03-31-2008, 10:40 PM
Matt,

Where's a good source for that woodslicer BS blade that you mentioned, please?

Thanks,

jim oakes
03-31-2008, 10:47 PM
The Trimaster has a plastic shipping edge thingy. Just put on gloves and slowly undo the coil and slide it in.

Thanks Mark, Can you get the plastic thingy back on to remove the blade?

Peter Quadarella
03-31-2008, 10:56 PM
I know carbide is brittle, but is it that bad? I mean, as long as you don't totally crack a tooth, it should be fine, right?

Maurice Ungaro
04-01-2008, 8:19 AM
Matt,

Where's a good source for that woodslicer BS blade that you mentioned, please?

Thanks,

www.highlandwoodworking.com

Ben Rafael
04-01-2008, 10:15 AM
Thanks Mark, Can you get the plastic thingy back on to remove the blade?

It's easier to give a cat a bath.

Carbide is brittle but it is a far cry from eggshell fragility. I've had my carbide blades touch metal without problems. Just use reasonable care and you should be fine.

Matt Ocel
04-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Yep - highlandwoodworking.com,
It came in 2 days, free shipping.