PDA

View Full Version : circular saw blade bushings?

Jason King
03-31-2008, 8:29 PM
Hello:

I have a rather odd sized arbor on my TS, 1.125. I have the option to purchase a dado stack with a 1.25 arbor.

I know that there are bushings that can be used, but I have never heard of them being used on a Dado stack before. Anyone have any expreience using bushings on table saw blades?

Thanks

Rod Sheridan
04-01-2008, 8:12 AM
Hi, I've used bushings in many saw blades in industry, however a dado would be difficult to properly bush.

The bushings are commercially available from saw blade manufacturers, and are very slightly thinner than the saw plate.

They're easy to instal, slip one on the arbour, put the saw blade on, then the cup washer and the nut. Installing them on a dado may be tricky due to the different thicknesses of the cutters and shims.

Regards, Rod.

Randal Stevenson
04-01-2008, 11:08 AM
My neighbor has an older saw (I believe he said it was a Craftsman from when he first moved to this country), but it has a 3/4" arbor. He picked up a new saw, just do to that, but several people recommended he just get the arbor turned down. (he didn't want to wait).

Otherwise, I don't know about Freud, but you should be able to get a custom arbor hole from Forrest or Ridge Carbide.

David DeCristoforo
04-01-2008, 1:10 PM
I would pass on the dado set, buy a set with a "standard" bore and have it reamed out to match your 1 1/8" (???) arbor.

YM

J. Z. Guest
04-01-2008, 1:23 PM
You'd need a bushing for each blade and chipper. Even then, the shims wouldn't be balanced. I don't know if they have enough mass to throw the whole thing out of balance.

I'd pass on it too. Buy a standard dado set and have a machine shop bore it to the right diameter for you.

You're lucky that the standard size is smaller, rather than larger, or this wouldn't be an option. ;)

Jason King
04-01-2008, 2:04 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll probably pass on the dado stack. It's too bad though, 16" dado stacks don't come around that often. When they do they're usually crazy expensive too.

The search continues....

Rick Lizek
04-01-2008, 5:18 PM
We do it all the time in our custom mill shop. We have several dado sets with 1" arbor holes and have bushings to put them on our 5/8" arbors as well. It's not a problem at all. Bushings typically have serrations on the outside edge to hold them in place. I'd have no problem with the 1-1/4" to 1-1/8" arbor size.

Jeff Duncan
04-01-2008, 5:59 PM
If it's a really good deal I think Forrest will press bronze bushings into the blade. Definitely a better way than using loose bushings, just not sure if it's worth the expense? Give them a call and see if they do it and what it would cost.
good luck,
JeffD