PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Show?????

Carroll Courtney
03-31-2008, 6:10 PM
Will its coming to Houston this weekend,will gas prices being what they are and over charging on the fine parking and the cost of admit.Is it worth it? I have been to the last 10 since it was held at the Adams Mark Hotel,then moved to the Astro Hall.Last year I said that this will be the last time I'll go.With all the past comments made of how bad it is and then more comments about its going to change.Has it?At their web site it does not look like it.Any thoughts?

Scott Haddix
03-31-2008, 9:08 PM
I've been the last two years and was debating whether to make this my third visit or give it a pass this year. This is partly because this year I've done a lot of tool purchases already, and the LOML would appreciate a break from the spending. Partly, I'm just not sure I'd get enough value for my time, much less my money.

No decision yet, but interested to hear others feedback to help me decide as well.

Derek Hansen
03-31-2008, 9:20 PM
Here's the exhibitor list:

3D Saw Blade Sales
Apollo Sprayers
Bad Dog Tools
Black and Decker
Bob Dedrick Presents
Brumley Tools
Carvewright
Circle Saw Builders Supply
Craft Supplies
Cut-N-Crown
Delta
Epilog Laser
Eureka Woodworks Inc
Freud
Kreg Tool Company
Just Clamps
Laguna Tools
Lee Valley Tools
Legacy Woodworking Machinery
LHR Technologies
Lie-Nielsen Toolworks, Inc
PeachTree
Porter Cable
Powercrafter
Razor Tools
Ridgid (TTI Communications)
Sommerfeld's Tools for Woods
Stockroom Supply
SuperMax Tools
Taylor Design Group/Incra
Woodline USANot extremely impressive, but I think I will go as I've never been before.

Ben Rafael
04-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Between gas, parking, and admittance it would cost me about $35 to go to the one out here. I will be passing. If parking and admission was free then I would go.

Steve Sawyer
04-01-2008, 10:35 AM
I heard that the Woodworking Show is under new management, and folks in my area are hoping to see a reversal in the trend toward an ever-declining show size and ever-shrinking list of major participants. Looking at that list of exhibitors, I'm not encouraged, as it's notable by the list of major manufacturer no-shows - Steel City, WMH (Jet and Powermatic), General, Grizzly/Shop Fox, SawStop (with their new contractor's saw) Bosch, Festool to mention a few.

Ellen Benkin
04-01-2008, 11:20 AM
They are under new management this year and the early shows were not well managed. I only hope they can get their acts together for next year as I always look forward to going and wandering around.

David Duke
04-01-2008, 12:18 PM
I've been the last 6-7 years but won't be going this year. A combination of the last couple of years the show being horrible and I've got a set of kitchen cabinets to get built in the next 3 weeks will prevent me from going.

Jerry White
04-01-2008, 1:30 PM
In spite of the cost ($30+ with tolls, parking, & admission), I plan to go this time.

I haven't missed a show in several years and I agree that it is not nearly as rewarding or entertaining as in years past. I would like to support the new management of the show and hope that they in turn make a good effort to restore the event to the previous level. If they can't do that in a relatively short time, I'm afraid that the concept of woodworking shows will just fade out of existence.

Meanwhile, I will go enjoy myself at the "only show in town".

Bruce Wrenn
04-01-2008, 11:37 PM
Last month, a group of us drove 130 miles each way to go to the show. Was it worth it? Definitely! Got to spend some time with friends, pick up some goodies, and visit some other woodworkers from another town. Also had a friend bring me a Delta 1.0 HP blower that will be put on a cyclone in the near future. The one thing I didn't do, that now I wish I had is watch Sommerfeld's cabinet making demos. Kregg is offering their newest jig at the lowest price I have seen, and a twenty dollar rebate to boot.

Todd Hyman
04-02-2008, 9:47 AM
If Rigid is there, they will have some good deals on reconditoned tools like the TS, Planer, Jointer, BS, DP, and of coarse the OSS. They won't come with the Lifetime guarantee but will have a 1 year warranty.

Peter Quadarella
04-02-2008, 9:51 AM
Ridgid wasn't at the Charlotte one, although I was hoping they were going to be (I bought a Ridgid planer on the way home from the show).

Actually, I brought my wife and we had a really good time. She even sat in on one of the finishing demos while I was walking around. The demonstrations by Woodline were fun to watch (good presenters). All in all, a fun day out.

This was my first show.

Peter Kuhlman
04-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Yea - have attended lots of these shows in New Orleans and Houston. Last year was a huge disappointment as the show space was so TINY!!! Used to be that they would have classes that you had to pay for and they would bring in some great teachers - Michael Fortune, Kelly Mehler and others. Loved those classes but now all they have are really basic little 15 minute skits. Won't be going this year as just not worth the 5 hour drive each way.
Pete