PDA

View Full Version : Articulated or Captive Arm Monster Hollowing tool??

Tom Keen
03-31-2008, 5:51 PM
Im considering buy a hollowing rig. I like the Monster tools. Which would work best? the articulated arm or captive arm setup? Im interested in doing the standard HF's and some large, deep vases.

Thanks in advance

Michael Armstrong
03-31-2008, 6:46 PM
Tom:
I have the mini monster articulating arm system and think it is great. Never tried a captured system so I can't comment on them.

Michael

Pete Jordan
03-31-2008, 6:51 PM
Tom,

I have the captured Oneway system and the mini monster system and I prefer the monster. Much less obtrusive.

Bernie Weishapl
03-31-2008, 7:11 PM
I have both monster units. The articulating arm is probably good for up to 12" and if you get bigger than that I would suggest the captured unit. Just my humble opinion after using both.

Steve Schlumpf
03-31-2008, 10:48 PM
Tom - like Bernie I also have both versions of the Monster system and my advice would be that if you can afford it - get both.

I find the captured system works great on most everything and can extend over the tool rest without much problem. The only limitations I had with the captured system was in the high shoulder areas of some of my forms - when they had fairly small openings and access was restrictive.

The articulating arm is a different animal - extremely smooth and effortless to operate. I find I can take such light and controlled cuts that I can actually get a finished surface using a straight cutter instead of a disk. Amazing to use but doesn't like to be extended over the tool rest more than 7" or 8" or so.

Just my opinion but I am an extremely happy owner/user and would do my best to answer any of your questions about these Monster systems.

Burt Alcantara
03-31-2008, 10:59 PM
I've got the Monster Arm. It does get a little dicey going in deep but Randy says he can put a 1" bar on if that is desired. I've heard a rule of thumb that states using a 1" bar for up to 15" of length.

On Bihn Pho's Thin Wall Turning, he shows a 2" D-bar that Frank Sudol used in a home made captured system. Then again, Sudol's turnings were in the 30+ inch range.

So far, my only criticism about the Arm is the laser piece. I use the Jamieson system of setting the laser. I have to do a lot of jiggling of the laser to get it set where I want it. I may have Randy make up something to alleviate this problem.

Never having had a captured system, it is my understanding that the arm takes up a lot less room both in storage and use. I bought an extra base so I can keep the arm on the end of the ways while not in use.

Burt

Randy Privett
04-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Burt,

Sorry your having a problem with the positioning of the laser system. I'll get you a replacement out with your other order.

Randy

Reed Gray
04-01-2008, 12:26 PM
I am by no means as good of a hollow form turner as I am a bowl turner, but having just received my Monster hollowing tool, and having hollowed maybe a dozen pieces, I have a few comments. First, I love it for smaller hollow forms, say up to about 8 inches deep. Beyond that it does start to chatter a bit. You could go a bit farther, but only with dainty cuts. I had Randy make me sleeve so I could use my McNaughton hollowing blades on his system. With the medium set, which total about 18 inches with the adapter, they are a bit chattery. I think with this type of system, this long of an arm presents too much leverage on the cutting tip to the arm and base. It will chatter. It works, and I may cut the McNaughton cutters down in length. I got the system because most of my market for hollow forms is for smaller forms, and this looked like the perfect system for those, and thus far it has lived up to my expectations. It really does make hollow forms a lot easier, and the laser is really nice. With the cutters Randy has available, you need an inch minimum for your openings in your forms. I can get away a with a bit less with the McNaughton goose neck cutters. This isn't really a problem. I do have a home made (well, a machine shop made it for me) D handled hollowing tool also. I can do 12 inches easily, and probably up to 18 or more with it (I do need a steady rest). It isn't nearly as easy to opperate as the Monster system because of the articulated base and arm. It does work better for the bigger pieces.
robo hippy

Tom Keen
04-01-2008, 12:59 PM
I really appreciate the help... No, I cant afford both and it sounds like the articulated arm would be fantastic if it could go deep..say 12 to 20 inches..but for the big stuff the captured arm would be better. Being able to get a smooth finish is important to me since I want to be able to turn some EF Vases.

Its was mentioned that putting larger diameter tool on the articulated arm would allow for deeper cutting...how much deeper? Maybe Randy could jump in and offer his thoughts?

A neighbor has offered me the opportunity to try out his captured system so I can get an idea of what it can do.

Thanks!
Tom