PDA

View Full Version : Highboy carvings

Dave McGeehan
03-31-2008, 5:38 PM
I'm happy to see we have a carving forum. Please post pics of your work.

Recently I did a series of 10 tiger maple drawer-front pinwheels and fans for a client's highboy. He asked that I "exaggerate" them design-wise and depth-wise to show the most shadowing possible. All are 3/4" at the center where the knob will be located. The pinwheels are 2+1/2" to 3+1/4". The fans are 7+1/2". They are sanded to 220. The client will apply the finish. These pics are as they looked when they left my shop.

Dave McGeehan
03-31-2008, 5:44 PM
Here are a few more pics. The unfinished wood plus my poor photo skills don't do justice to the beautiful stripe in this maple.

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-31-2008, 9:23 PM
Dave,

Beautiful work in wood with such shifting grain patterns. You must have changed direction every other chip. Well worth the effort. The finished piece will be really special.
Faust Ruggiero

Tom Banwell
03-31-2008, 11:03 PM
Really beautifull work!

Tom

Howie French
04-01-2008, 10:42 AM
Dave, very nice, thanks for posting.

as someone who plans on venturing into carving. I am looking forwards
to following this forum.

Howie

Sam Yerardi
04-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Beautiful work Dave!

Daniel Heine
04-01-2008, 2:09 PM
Very nice carvings. Did you do this with a chip carving knife, or with chisels and gouges? If chip carving, then how was it to carve the tiger maple?

Thanks,
Dan Heine
Der Kerbschnitzen Haussen

Garry McKinney
04-01-2008, 3:38 PM
Nice work.

Tiger maple cuts clean as long as your tool are sharp, but a little bit dull it will pull on you.

Here's a couple pieces I am just finishing.

Jim Meier
04-01-2008, 6:09 PM
that is really nice work, do you draw it all out first, or just jump right in?

Robert LaPlaca
04-01-2008, 9:13 PM
Dave,

Beautiful work, really beautiful. One question, how do you go about creating the convex area on the outside of the fan without marring the non-carved area?

Dave McGeehan
04-02-2008, 9:28 AM
Thanks for all the comments. To answer some questions:

Dan: Tiger maple is not a difficult wood to carve as long as your tools are sharp. It is softer than hard maple and most of the hard woods. The part that was the most difficult as far as tear-out was on the fan's rays when I reached the center where they were very thin. Again, your tools must be kept razor-sharp. I mainly use gouges and knives.

Gary: Nice carvings. How big are they? You should post them in a new thread so you can get some comments and questions.

Jim: I drew it in stages as I carved. I concaved the initial shape then drew the lines for carving the details.

Robert: I established the outer perimeter using a pair of dividers that I sharpened for this purpose. The transition between the concave and convex was done by making a stop-cut via walking a gouge on edge around it that had as close to the needed radius as I had available in my gouge collection. Then using that stop-cut as a boundary between the two.

Garry McKinney
04-02-2008, 5:41 PM
Dave
Thanks the , female is 6 1/2 inches the male is 7 1/4.

I am sure I will post some other work in the near future, when you asked for pictures , I thought you ment to see some of the carvings we do. I did not mean to disrupt your thread. :o

Garry

Dave McGeehan
04-03-2008, 9:13 AM
I am sure I will post some other work in the near future, when you asked for pictures , I thought you ment to see some of the carvings we do. I did not mean to disrupt your thread. :o

Garry

No problem, Garry. I never felt you were disrupting my thread. I just felt your work deserved its own so we could learn more about your type of carving. Hopefully this forum will encourage all the carvers out there to post pics of their work. The more, the better!