PDA

View Full Version : uses for finger joint pine?

John Dorough
03-31-2008, 5:20 PM
I have linked to a Tampa Bay Craigs List item that made me curious. Seller is advertising 1x finger jointed pine. What are the primary uses of such lumber? What are structural or other limitations on its use? Admitting the obvious, I am new to woodworking.

Thanks,

John

http://tampa.craigslist.org/mat/603711742.html

Bill Huber
03-31-2008, 5:23 PM
I know they use it a lot for moldings in homes, painted ones that is.

I think it could be used for just about anything you wanted to make out of pine that was going to be painted.

Peter Quinn
03-31-2008, 7:20 PM
It makes a great bonfire.

Sam Yerardi
03-31-2008, 7:22 PM
Like Bill said, you can use it for any painted applications, etc. It could also be used as secondary wood in a project where you only want to see the better grade of wood, i.e., hardwood, etc. You can also use it to build jigs and forms.

Ben Grunow
03-31-2008, 9:14 PM
Primed Fj pine is a staple in hombuilding around here because it is cheaper than poplar, has square corners and comes in 16' lengths that are primed. We use it for cased openeings, base boards and any other painted trim.

NEVER OUTSIDE!!!!!!! I dont care what anyone tells you. Never.

Matt Ocel
03-31-2008, 9:40 PM
John - It tends to be pretty straight material, although I have seen the glue let loose and then she falls apart.

Peter Quinn
03-31-2008, 10:31 PM
I have used a product sold as Platinum that comes with a fantastic factory finish applied to finger joint pine sold in standard dimensions and rated as exterior trim. If you use a double coat of alkyd primer on all cuts it is warranted for 10YRS and I have installed some that has lasted 7 with no problems. I'm talking about 1X12 skirt boards on a colonial 12" from grade. Not only have they lasted, but they have not warped, split, or otherwise moved.

I have also seen finger joints fail so quickly on exterior millwork that its almost comical. Don't let it get wet at all, because if the paint fails, the glue is not far behind.