PDA

View Full Version : Glue for plastics

Chris Barnett
03-31-2008, 3:50 PM
Dropped a piece of hardware and broke a molded plastic fitting. Any knowledge of an adhesive that will repair plastic? Do not know the plastic type.

Joe Pelonio
03-31-2008, 6:58 PM
The type of plastic makes a difference, some like polypropylene are hard to stick together without welding, nothing sticks. I would try super glue, if it doesn't work, I have had good luck on a variety of plastics with E6000.

http://www.eclecticproducts.com/e6000.htm

Tom Veatch
03-31-2008, 10:02 PM
Don't know how much help it'll be in this case, but I've found this web site (http://www.thistothat.com/) to be useful in many cases.

Jim Creech
03-31-2008, 10:49 PM
Depending on the type of plastic, acetone applied to both pieces then clamped or otherwise held together for a few minutes works. This is the method used by luthiers when repairing or making laminated bindings for guitars and such. Otherwise, superglue or "Hot Stuff" (CA glue) is probably your best bet.

mark page
04-01-2008, 9:56 AM
My local hardware store carries something called "plastic weld". I don't know the manufacturer as I've thrown away the bubble package. It's like a two stage epoxy, and this works great. Just use with proper ventilation as this stuff is a killer!!!! The curing time is a little long but is well worth it's trouble.

Jeffrey Makiel
04-01-2008, 1:16 PM
Ambroid is another possible choice. It's available at any decent hobby store. It glues (or welds) polystyrene, plexiglass and Lexan. It's extremely thin (watery) and uses capillary action to suck the glue into the joint. It's an MEK based solvent.

-Jeff

Chris Barnett
04-02-2008, 8:28 PM
Perhaps test a few solvents to determine affect on the plastic, then a few of the suggested glues. Have no idea the type of plastic but perhaps I can contact the manufacturer...or even get the item replaced if available but highly doubtful. Gluing plastics has always seemed a black art to me, sometimes requiring special incantations and chants. Ambroid...have not heard that name for many, many years. Thanks for all the help and ideas. Have super glue, two part epoxy, plastic steel, started to buy JB Weld but thought more about the black magic as to what it is reportedly glued together. Not familiar with E6000; will check on this. Again thanks.

Tim Morton
04-02-2008, 8:42 PM
super glue works great with comatex...i think I would try that first. Its hard to know from your question how strong the bond needs to be.