PDA

View Full Version : Woodcut Bowl Saver?

Wade Lippman
03-31-2008, 1:32 PM
Someone locally is offering this unused for $210.
Is the tool any good?
Is the price good?

I guess I would have to ask what post size it is; anything else?

The company's website appears derelict, which isn't a good sign.

Bernie Weishapl
03-31-2008, 2:02 PM
I would check it out. I know the posts in the catalog say 3/4", 7/8" and 1" posts and a #2 MT for the tailstock. Packard Woodworks has them for $269 I think new with a 3/4" X 3 1/4" post and 1" X 6" post.

Reed Gray
03-31-2008, 5:53 PM
It is a nice little coring unit. Emphasis on little. The big blade is a 5 inch radius. Both blades stay on the platform when coring, and you switch from one to the other when you change. Kind of a strange set up, but it works. The tailstock has to hook up to the platform the cutters are on which I don't like because I don't have the tailstock on for turning or coring. They now have a laser pointer for it which helps a bit on set up to know how far to place the cutter from the headstock/bowl so you don't go through the bottom, or you can make plywood spacers to go between the headstock and the banjo. Has stellite cutters which hold an edge well, and are concave on top. I think this helps a bit with ejecting the shavings. It is on a fixed center, and simple to use. It seems to work well on smaller lathes with 1 hp.
robo hippy

Frank Kobilsek
03-31-2008, 6:51 PM
Wade

I bought mine used on one of these forums. The tip was chipped on the big blade and by the time I shipped it to New Zealand to be re-tipped my cost was about what you are about to pay.

It works well on friendly wood. Stuff that turns. cuts nice like cherry, soft maple, walnut. Oak, hickory, hard maple is just too much for it or maybe too much for my 1642 Miracle Whip.

Careful on tool post length. I just got a new machine and my Wood cut won't fit, post too short.

I know, I owe the turning world a gloat with pictures. That will come.

Frank

Reed Gray
03-31-2008, 10:24 PM
I would think that any good saw shop could do the job, if not with Stellite, then with some thing else that works, or would know some one who could do it for you. Or, you could probably get a new blade.
robo hippy