PDA

View Full Version : Knock-down saw horses for cutting sheet goods (subtitle: why panel saws are obsolete)

Frank Pellow
03-25-2004, 7:41 AM
This is a testimonial to two tools:

(1) The saw horses that Nick Engler designed and that are described in Popular Woodworking's Jigs and Shop Tips issue (January 2004). Here is a link: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/store/viewabstract.asp?view=1719

(2) The Festool plunge circular saw coupled with the guide rail system.

I built the saw horses earlier this week and used them for the first time yesterday. They go together and come apart very easily and, when together, they are perfectly balanced to enable one to single-handedly get a heavy sheet of whatever into position. The angles seem to be bang-on in order to prevent the horses from tipping over in the process -something that I have struggled with in the past. Also the height seems just right for cutting, both when standing on one's feet and when crawling up onto the sheet being cut.

There has been a lot of praise for the saw elsewhere in this forum. All I will say here is that the saw and rails fully live up to that praise.

I am attaching 3 pictures and I hope to get them into the right order:

(1) sawhorses in use
(2) sawhorses partly knocked down
(3) a resulting cut

Chris Padilla
03-25-2004, 10:25 AM
Festool is awesome...it is that simple. Thanks!

Bart Leetch
03-25-2004, 10:50 AM
Those look great Frank. But I don't have enough room to store them in my shop. I guess I'll have to stick with my Panel-saw wink wink. ;) ;) .

Frank Pellow
03-25-2004, 9:49 PM
Those look great Frank. But I don't have enough room to store them in my shop. I guess I'll have to stick with my Panel-saw wink wink. ;) ;) .

Bart, the knocked down saw horses do not take as much room as your panel saw. But, looking at your shop layout, I don't think that you have anywhere to set them up with a 4x8 sheet and sufficient room around it to work.

Bob Lasley
03-26-2004, 1:53 PM
Frank,

I built the same sawhorses a few years ago and have found them indispensible. While I don't have the Festool saw, yet, I use a straight edge guide with my circular saw and get excellent cuts. I also cut some 4 foot 2x4's for when I'm sawing smaller sheets such as Baltic Birch.

Bob

Frank Pellow
03-26-2004, 3:52 PM
Frank,

I built the same sawhorses a few years ago and have found them indispensible. While I don't have the Festool saw, yet, I use a straight edge guide with my circular saw and get excellent cuts. I also cut some 4 foot 2x4's for when I'm sawing smaller sheets such as Baltic Birch.

Bob
Thanks Bob, thats a good tip about the shorter 2x4s.

Jack Hogoboom
01-03-2005, 11:25 AM
Frank,

Thanks for the tip about the sawhorses. I'm about to start a desk for one of my daughters and need something to cut the sheet goods on. That looks like an excellent solution.

Jack

Terry Stapleton
01-03-2005, 11:43 AM
The ideas and tips I get from you guys are great. This one will sure help me, because I don't have a lot of space to roam. Cutting sheet goods by myself has always been a chore, and it's getting more so the older I have gotten. Squeeze-away-when-not-needed things are always welcome in my shop. Thanks, Frank.

Niels J. Larsen
01-03-2005, 2:06 PM
Frank Pellow:

Do you know how I can get my hands on a copy of those plans ?

The January 2004 issue is not available on their website so no luck there...

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Niels

Frank Pellow
01-03-2005, 2:21 PM
Since they are not selling the plans, I guess that it is OK for me to copy them and send them to you via private email. I will do so this evening.

Norman Hitt
01-03-2005, 3:03 PM
[QUOTE=Niels J. Larsen]Frank Pellow:

Do you know how I can get my hands on a copy of those plans ?

The January 2004 issue is not available on their website so no luck there...

Niels, if you can't find the plans, just print a copy of the Pictures Frank posted and then measure the angles, and that should be close enough to work well. You might ask him what the height of the top is from the floor, and that should give you enough measurement to draw it or figure out the proportional lengths for the legs.

PS: Welcome to the "Creek", and a Happy New Year from Texas.
Norm

fred woltersdorf
01-03-2005, 3:13 PM
frank,if you don't mind what are the dimensions,and the angles?thanks fred

Steve Clardy
01-03-2005, 4:21 PM
Hmm. Don't think the panel saw will ever be obsolete. :)

mike lucas
01-03-2005, 4:37 PM
Maybe panel saws are obsolete in your shop, but here is the type I use.:eek:
I would really like a real panel saw, but at $1500-$5,000 I will continue finding other ways to get the job done.
And now I not only can make the cuts on my table saw, I now have the option of using my newly aquired old DeWalt radial arm saw.:)

Jim Dunn
01-03-2005, 5:39 PM
Frank,

I'll take a set of those plans too please.

Jim

Frank Pellow
01-03-2005, 5:47 PM
frank,if you don't mind what are the dimensions,and the angles?thanks fred
Fred, there are a lot of dimensions and angles. If you send me you email address, I will send some diagrams to you.

Frank,

Jim
Jim, and anyone else, please let me know your email address, and I will send you some diagrams.

Frank Pellow
01-03-2005, 5:49 PM
Hmm. Don't think the panel saw will ever be obsolete. :)
Maybe not, but I certainly will never struggle with one again. :p :D

Tom LaRussa
01-03-2005, 5:51 PM
Fred, there are a lot of dimensions and angles. If you send me you email address, I will send some diagrams to you.

Jim, and anyone else, please let me know your email address, and I will send you some diagrams.
Frank, (and all),

I've been trying to post this since early this afternoon, but my computer keeps messing up on me. :mad:GRRRRR:mad:

Anyhow, the original article and plans are still available for free on PWW. Here is the link: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/features/fea.asp?id=1104

HTH,

Tom

Frank Pellow
01-03-2005, 6:00 PM
Frank, (and all),

I've been trying to post this since early this afternoon, but my computer keeps messing up on me. :mad:GRRRRR:mad:

Anyhow, the original article and plans are still available for free on PWW. Here is the link: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/features/fea.asp?id=1104

HTH,

Tom
Thanks Tom! The diagram that is available at the site you provided is the one that I have been sending to folks. I have sent out a few, but I guess that I can stop now.

Niels J. Larsen
01-04-2005, 12:04 AM
Tom: Thanks for providing the link - the diagram was just what I needed!

Frank: Thanks for the effort trying to provide me with the plans - your help is appreciated!

Cheers,
Niels

fred woltersdorf
01-04-2005, 1:18 AM
thanks frank and tom,i'm going to make one today.

Keith Outten
01-04-2005, 2:50 AM
I agree with Bart, I wouldn't trade my panel saw, considering the kind of work I do in my shop.

The second pic is the knockdown sawhorse plans from ShopBot, a pair of these are cut from one sheet of plywood.

Mark J Bachler
01-04-2005, 3:07 AM
Nice saw horses, but I'll keep my 8' slider & the panel router just in case I might need them someday.

Ken Salisbury
01-04-2005, 3:07 AM
Why not just use a few of these ? I have 4 which when folded take very little space.

Frank Pellow
01-04-2005, 3:42 AM
I agree with Bart, I wouldn't trade my panel saw, considering the kind of work I do in my shop.
The panel saws that I have used and seen used, don't have the accuracy nor do they provide the smooth cuts that my set-up does. Also, the set-up with the special saw horses and guide rails costs a fraction of "good" panel saw. Finally I, for one, find a panel saw harder to set up.

The second pic is the knockdown sawhorse plans from ShopBot, a pair of these are cut from one sheet of plywood.
Those look really good, Keith!

Frank Pellow
01-04-2005, 3:43 AM
Why not just use a few of these ? I have 4 which when folded take very little space.
What kind of wood is that, Ken?

Dino Makropoulos
01-04-2005, 3:45 AM
What kind of wood is that, Ken?

Smart wood.

Carole Valentine
01-04-2005, 3:52 AM
The saw horses look like they would do a fine job, but I keep three 2'x4' foam panels stored across the ceiling joists. They are about 2" thick, and when I need to do sheet goods, I just slap them on the floor, throw the sheet goods on top and have at it. The foam is plenty firm to allow me to crawl all over the ply and very light so it is easy for me get "upstairs" and out of the way.

Frank Pellow
01-04-2005, 3:58 AM
The saw horses look like they would do a fine job, but I keep three 2'x4' foam panels stored across the ceiling joists. They are about 2" thick, and when I need to do sheet goods, I just slap them on the floor, throw the sheet goods on top and have at it. The foam is plenty firm to allow me to crawl all over the ply and very light so it is easy for me get "upstairs" and out of the way.
That certainly works well (and I have done the same thing), but I much prefer my work to be elevated. Also, I have often used the saw horses in places where there is no floor or smooth ground upon which to place the foam.

Paul Berendsohn
01-04-2005, 4:32 AM
LOL... I have the same sawhorses as well Ken, and was wondering when someone would get around to admitting to owning them ;) (Great minds and all that:D )
My shop is getting ready to move so I can't take any photos at the moment, but if you want to see what really makes panel saws (and most sawhorses) obsolete, you might want to consider what our friend Dino came up with:

http://www.eurekazone.com/products/smarttable.html

http://www.eurekazone.com/images/gallery/plexiglassshop.html

JayStPeter
01-04-2005, 12:52 PM
That certainly works well (and I have done the same thing), but I much prefer my work to be elevated. Also, I have often used the saw horses in places where there is no floor or smooth ground upon which to place the foam.

I made a plywood frame around 6'x3'x3" and bolted some folding table legs to it. When I deploy it, I slap a sheet of foam on top. I recently skinned it with 1/4" ply so I can use it as a basic assembly/parts table when not needed for cutting.

Jay

Steven Herbin
01-04-2005, 4:16 PM
I've been using the Eurekazone setup (table and smart guides) that our friend Dino invented and sells. They are really a usable and useful tool that takes all the adventure out of knocking down sheet goods. It even fit in the trunk of my car -- didn't have to use SWMBO's SUV.

I had to cut up five pieces of 3/4" ply and it went so fast and smooth that I was really amazed. I never felt my hands or feet were in danger and the work was done in minutes.

Then we cut down about 8 doors (sliding and main) for my granddaughter's room and the whole job went in minutes.

... all this convenience and safety and smooth cuts everywhere -- no splintering.

With a $20 E-bay saw and a $15 Blue Borg sawblade.

Couldn't have been easier!

Paul Berendsohn
01-04-2005, 4:52 PM
Ahhh, I knewwwwwwww there was another Eureka fan out there ;)

Nice to meet you Steven, have you learned the secret handshake yet? (it doesn't really matter how you shake, as long as you can show you still have all five fingers). :p

Paul

Jim Becker
01-04-2005, 5:11 PM
Who needs it with Eurekazone stuff Doesn't matter if you are using Dino's child, Festool or a two-by-four and a SkillSaw...some folks find it comfortable to have sheet goods raised up off the floor and knock down horses like Frank is illustrating are a great solution toward that end. One needs to be comfortable in order to make safe cuts no matter what the tools used happen to be. Some people use some foam insulation board on the floor or their dining room table; some use rectangular cubes or horses and a simple grid. This thread is about that support, not the cutting tools and it works!

Paul Berendsohn
01-04-2005, 6:12 PM
Hiya Jim... Long time no see.

Why isn't it appropriate for Steve to discuss his SmartTable? I'm not aware of anything else on the market that encompasses all the features of the SmartTable. That is to say, a table that is expandable and serves as a cutting, clamping, and assembly system that is also portable. Why stifle someone like Steve who is new here and trying to tell people of his success using a great product. I assume that the goal here is to tell people about great new products that make their woodworking projects easier, safer and more enjoyable... ummm...isn't it?

I see this is your first post Steve, welcome by the way. Just remember the secret handshake and remember... you are not alone ... ;)

Bart Leetch
01-04-2005, 8:09 PM
Doesn't matter if you are using Dino's child, Festool or a two-by-four and a SkillSaw...some folks find it comfortable to have sheet goods raised up off the floor and knock down horses like Frank is illustrating are a great solution toward that end. One needs to be comfortable in order to make safe cuts no matter what the tools used happen to be. Some people use some foam insulation board on the floor or their dining room table; some use rectangular cubes or horses and a simple grid. This thread is about that support, not the cutting tools and it works!

WHEW which side of the computer did you get up on today. :D :eek: :D

Jim Becker
01-04-2005, 8:40 PM
WHEW which side of the computer did you get up on today.
With this head cold, I almost didn't go to bed...or at least it seems like that! Being back at "work" after two weeks "really off" didn't help. I guess I was a little strong, but I was just trying to get things back on-subject. The idea that Frank presents is "universal"...

Steve, welcome to SMC and I appologize if I sounded like I was abusing you...it was not my intention.

Bart Leetch
01-04-2005, 10:03 PM
Well Jim we're pretty universal around here as you know.

Sorry to hear about the cold, jack up the vitamin C,E, & B complex & use some Echinacea to boost you immune system. Of course your already taking a good multiple vitamin aren't you? :D

Glenn Clabo
01-05-2005, 7:35 AM
With this head cold, I almost didn't go to bed...or at least it seems like that! Being back at "work" after two weeks "really off" didn't help. I guess I was a little strong, but I was just trying to get things back on-subject. The idea that Frank presents is "universal"...

Steve, welcome to SMC and I appologize if I sounded like I was abusing you...it was not my intention.
Yipes Jim...
I knew there was something wrong...you sure sound all out of sorts. Take to your bed and read a good book. ;)

Paul Berendsohn
01-05-2005, 9:52 AM
You know, I've been chewing on the turn this thread took for a good bit of time now, undoubtedly more than I should have. I'd like to make an observation I've alluded to before, and sadly one which causes me to frequent this forum less often than others.

This thread was started by Frank Pellow with the statement-

“This is a testimonial to two tools:”
(snip)
“(2) The Festool plunge circular saw coupled with the guide rail system”.
(snip)
“There has been a lot of praise for the saw elsewhere in this forum. All I will say here is that the saw and rails fully live up to that praise.”

To which Chris Padilla added-

“Festool is awesome...it is that simple. Thanks!”

Not to mention the many comments about panel saws, etc etc… Apparently no one took exception or tried to keep the thread on some straight and narrow course.

And yet once Steve Herbin says he’s a Eureka fan the reaction is immediate –

“This thread is about that support, not the cutting tools”

Funny… it sure didn’t start off that way.

So, very simply, why was it OK to interject glowing comments about one brand…and not the other?

Jim Becker
01-05-2005, 10:00 AM
Paul, since I made one of the comments you cite, I stand corrected...as you point out, Frank did praise the tool. I missed that or at least forgot it as time passed. I do still think that the major value of his post, however, is the support system which will work beautifully with Festool, EZ or any other setup. That's the real value I derived from this thread at least...something that helps one be more efficient in a task that can be cumbersome.

Frank Pellow
01-05-2005, 10:06 AM
As the originator of the thread, I can tell you that it was my intention to concentrate on the saw horses and to leave the discussion of the guide rails to other threads. Any rails should work well with the horses. In fact, Nicks original article where I got the design for the horses, is as much about his home made rail as it is about the saw horses.

Paul Berendsohn
01-05-2005, 10:08 AM
Mea culpa accepted Jim. I didn't miss your point Frank, I hope you didn't miss mine ;)

Paul B. Cresti
01-05-2005, 10:24 AM
Frank,
In the shop I will use my 8.5' MM slider all day long, no break down, no switching needed between solid stock and sheet goods. Perfect, repetable cuts no matter what I throw at it (veneer and melamine included). In the field well that is another story ...... and what do I use..... another story..... ;) lets leave it at that.

Will saw horses ever replace a "real" panel saw? No way!

Eric Gustafson
05-05-2008, 6:21 PM
To move large sheets, I made the Plywood moving shuttle.

http://www.workbenchmagazine.com/main/wb280-caddy01.html

I thought it was so cool, I had to make it. Check out the video on the link above. The only improvement I would make, is to use a wider piece of angle aluminum for the lip on the wheel side of the base. The plans call for 3/4". I think it would work better if it were 1 1/2". I bought the plans for the shuttle and they also include the cutting table shown below. I will have to make that, too.

http://www.workbenchmagazine.com/main/images/wb280-caddy02.jpg (javascript:openPopWin("wb280-caddy01a.html", 300, 328))

http://www.workbenchmagazine.com/main/images/wb280-table02.jpg (javascript:openPopWin("wb280-table01a.html", 300, 436))

Rob Russell
05-05-2008, 8:33 PM
Frank,

Jim

Frank hasn't posted here in about 18 months. If you left click on his name, pick "Send email to Frank Pellow". He should get that.

Rob

Jason Beam
05-05-2008, 8:39 PM
Frank hasn't posted here in about 18 months. If you left click on his name, pick "Send email to Frank Pellow". He should get that.

Rob

Caught by the "Crazy Old Thread" bug!

Gene O. Carpenter
05-06-2008, 12:01 AM
I'm 72 and have a herniated disc, arthritis in hips, shoulders and Arthur's cousin Epicondylitis ( that's what the Dr called it) in my knees, and on my 3rd un-needed pace maker, so I have to watch what I lift and how I lift it! So I bought a hydraulic lift table/cart from HD and an engine crane from Pep Boys.
These 2 pieces of equipment have made my hobbies much easier BUT unfortunately neither can help much when it comes to handling 4x8's of anything!!
So when ever I have a project that requires any part of a 4x8 I write my list out for each piece needed and head out to either 1 of 3 HD's or 1 of to Lowes that are located within a 30 minute drive. If I can't find a suitable sheet at one I go to the next..
When I find the sheet I want I find one of the clerks and have him bring it to the panel saw..I tell him the sizes that I want it sawed to and that I will use my tape for measuring and I will position the sheet for the cut and let him operate the saw.
By doing the positioning myself I can keep the blade on the same side of the line and I know that after I do any edge cleanup the sizes will be what I want.
After all the cuts are made and counted (sometimes they charge for anything over 2 cuts) I make sure that the Bar Coded piece is on top, thank the saw guy and point to the few $$'s laying on the floor and say that just fell out of your pocket and I head for check out..
I tell the cashier that it's 1 sheet or like the dipsy blond did she scanned the Bar Code, couldn't see anymore tags so she counted the pieces and entered that number:eek: the most expensive sheet of 3/4Plywood I ever saw. Had to call the mgr to straighten that out..

Colin Wollerman
05-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Hi Frank,
I was unable to make the woodworking link to work for me. I just recieved a EZ Smart rail guide system and would like use these sawhorses for my "Smart Table". Actually the two main angles will be enough...15...18deg???
Thank You,
Aloha---Colin

J. Z. Guest
05-06-2008, 2:05 PM
Hi Frank,
I was unable to make the woodworking link to work for me.

Probably because the link was 4 years old, like this zombie thread.

On the other hand, Kudos to Colin for using the search feature, hehehe.

Colin Wollerman
05-06-2008, 2:19 PM
Haaaa! That's funny. It was early a.m.
I didn't even look at the date!
So...got any saw horse plans? ;-)

Charles Trout
05-06-2008, 2:28 PM
Thanks Colin for resurrecting this thread, I've been thinking about building some sawhorses, but I really wasn't sure where to start.

Since none of the links work I did some searching today and while I couldn't find any specific plans I did find some links that might be useful:

basic idea:
http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/2004/11/19/sn/

and the triangle calculator will help you with your angles
http://ostermiller.org/calc/triangle.html

I'm going to make an attempt this week....

Mike SoRelle
05-06-2008, 2:44 PM
Thanks Colin for resurrecting this thread, I've been thinking about building some sawhorses, but I really wasn't sure where to start.

Since none of the links work I did some searching today and while I couldn't find any specific plans I did find some links that might be useful:

basic idea:
http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/2004/11/19/sn/

and the triangle calculator will help you with your angles
http://ostermiller.org/calc/triangle.html

I'm going to make an attempt this week....

Here's some plans that seem to be related to that drawing

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip030815sn.html

These look pretty similar to the PWW ones

Mike

Colin Wollerman
05-07-2008, 12:11 AM
Thanks Mike/ Charles

This will work. The only difference with the one you found mike is the leg modules are vertical where as the PWW ones are canted out a bit. (15 deg. also?) I think that that is important when loading heavy ply from the side. I am sure we can work that out.
Thanks again
C

Colin Wollerman
05-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Looks like i will be using metal folding legs for my sawhorse/table...

I had just recieved my EZ Smart saw guide system http://www.eurekazone.com/

part of my purchase was a Smart table kit that I plan on putting on top of my sawhorse table
http://www.eurekazone.com/products/detail/smarttable.html

Well...I could not wait to make some saw dust so I pulled out a heavy duty folding plastic top table a friend had left over our house...you see
where this is going...well, I proceeded to cut a kerf in the plastic top :(

I guess I just bought some table legs.
Oh well, the good thing is it is a top of the line, heavy duty table.
C

Mike SoRelle
05-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Looks like i will be using metal folding legs for my sawhorse/table...

I had just recieved my EZ Smart saw guide system http://www.eurekazone.com/

part of my purchase was a Smart table kit that I plan on putting on top of my sawhorse table
http://www.eurekazone.com/products/detail/smarttable.html

Well...I could not wait to make some saw dust so I pulled out a heavy duty folding plastic top table a friend had left over our house...you see
where this is going...well, I proceeded to cut a kerf in the plastic top :(

I guess I just bought some table legs.
Oh well, the good thing is it is a top of the line, heavy duty table.
C

And now it has bonus ventilation! :D

Steven DeMars
05-07-2008, 1:31 PM
I have just purchased Making Jigs and Fixtures by Nick Engler via eBay. I have confirmed that this book indeed has the same info as the article published in Popular Woodworking (a fine magazine it is) in 2004.

As soon as it arrives I will relay angles, dimensions, etc . . . needed to properly construct the sought after sawhorses . . . . :p

Thomas Wa
05-08-2008, 3:23 PM

Thanks to the Wayback machine the original PWW plans are still online

Use the download a construction drawing link at the top of the page to get the .pdf file
http://web.archive.org/web/20060104175944/http://www.popularwoodworking.com/features/fea.asp?id=1104

Grant Lasson
05-08-2008, 6:23 PM
I built these saw horses a couple of years ago using the "Making Jigs and Fixtures" book by Nick Engler. For me, they are just about perfect. One point not too readily seen is the support the three additional rails provide between the saw horses. Cut-offs are usually well supported.

I don't do a lot of sheet work but this support system makes it really simple and safe when I do. Most of the time, it's just stored out of the way.

Rob Blaustein
05-08-2008, 9:25 PM
I got these plans from Frank years ago and made them. I love them and use them often for cutting sheet goods. I use a guided saw and place the plywood sheet over a 4' x 8' sacrificial sheet of rigid foam insulation to prevent tear out on the underside (see http://www.woodshopdemos.com/euro-1.htm). Putting a sheet of ply on them also makes for a great workspace. BTW, there is a mistake in the plans that will become obvious once you start construction--in the lower left hand, that angle between the legs and the ground is not 25 degrees, it is 65 degrees (90-25).

marky young
11-14-2018, 5:31 PM
Nick's design is fantastic, and I can't understand why it hasn't been published much more, and variations stolen and posted in numerous magazines.

The article didn't have very good photos / could have used more detailed steps. Wish someone would do a CAD / Sketchup and upload to the shared library and post pics here.

Mark

QUOTE=Frank Pellow;61439]This is a testimonial to two tools:

(1) The saw horses that Nick Engler designed and that are described in Popular Woodworking's Jigs and Shop Tips issue (January 2004). Here is a link: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/store/viewabstract.asp?view=1719

(2) The Festool plunge circular saw coupled with the guide rail system.

I built the saw horses earlier this week and used them for the first time yesterday. They go together and come apart very easily and, when together, they are perfectly balanced to enable one to single-handedly get a heavy sheet of whatever into position. The angles seem to be bang-on in order to prevent the horses from tipping over in the process -something that I have struggled with in the past. Also the height seems just right for cutting, both when standing on one's feet and when crawling up onto the sheet being cut.

There has been a lot of praise for the saw elsewhere in this forum. All I will say here is that the saw and rails fully live up to that praise.

I am attaching 3 pictures and I hope to get them into the right order:

(1) sawhorses in use
(2) sawhorses partly knocked down
(3) a resulting cut[/QUOTE]

Zac wingert
11-15-2018, 4:26 AM
I read the whole thing. Wow. Haha

lowell holmes
11-15-2018, 10:10 AM
https://www.google.com/search?q=folding+sawhorse+plans&rlz=1C1UCRO_enUS813US813&oq=folding+s&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j0l2j69i60j0.8199j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

This is an alternative.

Mike Racine
11-15-2018, 1:35 PM
Here is the actual PDF of the Engler sawhorse. Well the layout pg. PDF was too big to post up. If u want the entire pdf pm me..

Ben Rivel
11-15-2018, 2:02 PM
Man this is an old thread.

I just use three of these (LINK (https://www.homedepot.com/p/TOUGHBUILT-42-4-in-W-x-28-8-in-H-Steel-Sawhorse-and-Jobsite-Table-1100-lb-Capacity-TB-C550/205870368)) with a couple 8ft 2x4s along the sides and a 4'x8' sheet of 2" rigid foam for all my track saw cutting. Whole setup probably cost about $80, but the sawhorses can of course be used for many other things and I saved a bit of time not having to build anything to get it up an running.

Mike Henderson
11-15-2018, 2:20 PM
Man this is an old thread.

I just use three of these (LINK (https://www.homedepot.com/p/TOUGHBUILT-42-4-in-W-x-28-8-in-H-Steel-Sawhorse-and-Jobsite-Table-1100-lb-Capacity-TB-C550/205870368)) with a couple 8ft 2x4s along the sides and a 4'x8' sheet of 2" rigid foam for all my track saw cutting. Whole setup probably cost about $80, but the sawhorses can of course be used for many other things and I saved a bit of time not having to build anything to get it up an running.

Those sure store in a lot less space than the sawhorses I have now. Thanks for the pointer.

Mike

Ben Rivel
11-15-2018, 2:40 PM
Those sure store in a lot less space than the sawhorses I have now. Thanks for the pointer.

Mike
Welcome. And yes they fold down very small! Thats one of the the features I like most about them! Like many of us Im a bit crammed for space and it's like to be able to just thrown sawhorses up on a shelf and be able to fit four of them in a small space.

Roger Feeley
11-16-2018, 9:50 AM
I bought a cheap 6' folding table at HD, threw away the top and made my own top out of 2x4s. My top is just a grid of 2x4s lap jointed and glued so there are no fasteners. Then I set up the table and shimmed my top so everything lines up right. That serves as my saw horses. I can cut panels without the waste piece falling.

Derek Arita
11-16-2018, 2:29 PM
OK...I'll add mine in. Old, fold up saw horses. You wouldn't believe how cramped for space I am. SWAMBO insists on having 1/2 the two car garage for her car and stuff. 2x4 holders mount to the top of the horses. It all breaks down very well. I think I got the idea here...https://beta-static.photobucket.com/images/h151/derekarita1/0/e5eca1de-3c2c-498d-bc75-be3849021846-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds (https://beta.photobucket.com/u/derekarita1/p/e5eca1de-3c2c-498d-bc75-be3849021846)
https://beta-static.photobucket.com/images/h151/derekarita1/0/ca87b5e0-10b7-461c-87ea-e7dfeb2a24a6-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds (https://beta.photobucket.com/u/derekarita1/p/ca87b5e0-10b7-461c-87ea-e7dfeb2a24a6)

Jim Dwight
11-16-2018, 7:18 PM
I like my shopdog sawhorses, I got the plans from woodshopdude. If I remember right, the plans were $5. They are made of 2x4s and fold up small. I have used them with 8 foot 2x4s in the top to paint three interior doors at a time. I also put a 8 foot 2x4 in one to use it as a station for my smaller 10 inch CMS when I don't want to keep walking back to the shop to use my 12 inch.

My DeWalt track saw also works great. I normally use it with a piece of 1 inch rigid insulation on top of my outfeed table/assembly table (3'x7'). But sometimes I just do a cut or two with the plywood on top of the wood sides of the trailer the plywood came home in.

For little shops like mine, which so not have the room to cut up full sheets on the table saw, a track saw is a great alternative. If you price them with a short and long rail, the DeWalt was the cheapest when I got mine. But some like two ~60 tracks for portability and then link them for long cuts. That makes the Makita cheaper. The Festool is not the cheapest any way you figure but it is certainly a nice tool.

Charles Lent
11-17-2018, 10:26 AM
I almost never use saw horses any more, and I can no longer lay a sheet of foam insulation on the floor and cut sheet stock, since my knee replacements and heart surgeries. At 76 I can no longer carry full sheets of 3/4" plywood for any distance either, so I have come up with a few work-arounds that help me get things done. I made a small wheeled dolly from the re-purposed wheels and stub axles from an old lawn mower, some 3/4 cabinet birch ply scraps, and a piece of 1/4" scrap to space the two sides 1" apart for easy loading, and I use a Gorilla Gripper (see photo) to help me lift and move my sheet stock. I can even leave the sheet standing on this wheel assembly for a short time as seen in the photo, if the wind isn't blowing.

I think I still have 2 saw horses left that occasionally get used to hold up a low scaffold, but they never get used for cutting sheet stock any more. About 20 years ago I built a cutting table similar to the second photo in post #45. My table is made from 1 X 3 pine for the frame and 2 X 4 for the cross pieces laid flat and flush with the top of the 1 X 3 frame. One 2 X 4 is across the center and two more at each end where needed to attach the Harbor Freight Banquet Table legs. The rest is open. It is about 30" X 70" in size. I used biscuits and glue to assemble the frame, so the only metal in it is the short screws that attach the legs. There is no metal at all in the top 1" + of the table, so I don't need to worry about my saw blades hitting any.

To get full sheets loaded, I attached two 4" square pieces of plywood to one side with a single screw through each, off-center, so that I could turn these to extend above the top of the table or turn them 180 degrees where they would be below the table surface. When I need to place a sheet of material on the table I turn these pieces so they extend above the table top and then tip the table over on it's side with these pieces lying on the floor. I then lean the sheet material against the table top with it's bottom edge sitting on these pieces of plywood. Then I reach down and grip both the table and the bottom edge of the sheet material and lift both until the table is sitting upright with the sheet laying on top of it. I then rotate the small pieces of plywood so they are below the top surface of the table and position the sheet for cutting. I set my circular saw to cut about 1/4" deeper than the thickness of the sheet and use a straight edge guide clamped to the sheet to guide the saw. If the cut is being made roughly down the center of the table I can complete the cut without either piece of the sheet falling at the end of the cut. I can then remove the off cut and re-position the remaining piece for the next cut. When not in use, I fold the legs into the recess in the table bottom and place it on edge against my stored sheet stock, where it consumes very little space, until it's needed again.

I also use my cutting table as a kind of workbench for my miter saw when doing work away from my shop by adding a small piece plywood to the center for the miter saw to sit on. The table has also come in handy as an emergency picnic table when more guests arrived that was planned for. I just laid a full sheet of 3/4" cabinet birch ply for a top and covered it with sheet plastic.

Charley