PDA

View Full Version : Need help with ceiling fan wiring...

Kyle Costlow
03-31-2008, 12:58 PM
I need to but a remote control on a ceiling fan, the receiver has 5 wires, I can see that 4 are used to route the power, I just cant figure out where the red wire(says "light" on it) goes. There aren't anymore free wires, but there is a screw that seems to do nothing(might be where the wire goes?) I cant afford to guess, its a really high ceiling and I've already almost fallen, so I thought I would seek counsel.
Thanks,
Kyle

Lee Schierer
03-31-2008, 1:17 PM
The "light" wire is probably used to install a light on your ceiling fan. If your fan doesn't have a "Light" then put a wire nut on teh end of the wire and tape it in place. no need to hook it to anything.

If the screw is green, it is a ground screw and should not be connected to the "light" wire. If you do you may get one brilliant flash before everything goes dark.

Kyle Costlow
03-31-2008, 1:26 PM
The fan does have a couple light bulbs, the ground is already figured out, so the screw is still a mystery, the screw is brass colored. I just don't know where to wire the red wire. The rest makes sense. Thanks for responding:)

Jason Beam
03-31-2008, 2:15 PM
Dumb question: Does the remote have a manual? I assume it does and hasn't been any help to you?

Kyle Costlow
03-31-2008, 2:21 PM
Yea I read the instructions, and I understand most of the wiring.. just cant figure where to put the red wire... its got 2 black and 2 white, those are pretty easy... but the red wire...?

jeremy levine
03-31-2008, 2:23 PM
What brand of fan ?

Kyle Costlow
03-31-2008, 2:33 PM
It's a Hunter, so is the remote unit.

dave rollins
03-31-2008, 5:35 PM
Kyle
I went to the Hunter fan website and pulled up the wiring instructions for a basic remote control. This diagram shows 5 wires as you have indicated.
1. Black/Hot-goes to A/C power in (black)
2. White/Neutral-goes to A/C power in (white)
3. White-goes to the neutral of the fan and the lights
4. Black-goes to the switch leg of the fan
5. Red- goes to the switch leg of the light
As to the brass colored screw you are asking about, could you tell us where in the canopy wiring it is?

Hope this helps

Dave