PDA

View Full Version : Computer issue (XP vs Win98)

Jeff Belany
03-31-2008, 9:59 AM
Hope I can explain this OK. Been wanting to get a new computer for some time for speed and more memory. But, my old (10 yrs) Lasergraver 2100 has drivers for Win95 which fortunately work for Win98 but will not work with XP (there will be no XP drivers for this orphan) The question is this; I have heard/read about dual booting a PC with XP & Win98. Anyone ever try this? The other option is to network a new XP machine with the old Win98 machine and use the old PC as a print server. But that will only work as long as the Win98 PC keeps running. Any one have any ideas?

I always figured at some point the old laser would die and a new laser and a new PC would be purchased to replace it. But, as long as the old laser keeps working there is no new one in my future.

Great forum, always learning something.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Curt Harms
03-31-2008, 10:18 AM
Hope I can explain this OK. Been wanting to get a new computer for some time for speed and more memory. But, my old (10 yrs) Lasergraver 2100 has drivers for Win95 which fortunately work for Win98 but will not work with XP (there will be no XP drivers for this orphan) The question is this; I have heard/read about dual booting a PC with XP & Win98. Anyone ever try this? The other option is to network a new XP machine with the old Win98 machine and use the old PC as a print server. But that will only work as long as the Win98 PC keeps running. Any one have any ideas?

I always figured at some point the old laser would die and a new laser and a new PC would be purchased to replace it. But, as long as the old laser keeps working there is no new one in my future.

Great forum, always learning something.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

I have a piece of hardware like that-not a laser. I use this:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-next-generation.htm

It's shareware but seems to work well. I did pay for it. It seems a little obtuse but I downloaded the manual and followed the steps. It works fine. Another use is to have more than one Windows partition. I have one very basic install and one that I use for most work. I use the basic install for "foreign" networks e.g. hotels. Anyone hacking the O.S. isn't going to find much because there's no financial or other information there. It'll support something like 100 bootable partitions. BootIt will also create, move, resize and delete partitions.

HTH

Curt

John Noell
03-31-2008, 2:36 PM
I have been extremely impressed with (the free) Virtual PC from Microsoft. You can install Win98 inside WinXP. When running (and you can even toggle to fullscreen so it really feels JUST like a Win98 box) it controls all I/O functions. Recently set one up for a guy with an OLD survey/plotter program.You also can easily run Win95 (or even Win 3.1) under VirtualPC. The XP computer does need to be fairly powerful (i.e., Pentium IV at 2.4GHz or better and 512 MB RAM)for Virtual PC not to feel a bit sluggish.