PDA

View Full Version : Unsed Unisaw Purchase Advice

Ken Cohen
03-31-2008, 8:56 AM
I was about to buy a hybrid TS (22124 or Jet) but ran into this opportunity for approximately $800:

Delta 3hp Unisaw, Table saw. 220 volt, single phase, left tilt unisaw. 50 inch Biesmeyer self aligning fence, two cast iron extensions, mobile base, dust collection port. This saw is about 5 years old and is in excellent mechanical and cosmetic condition. Fence is self aligning and accurate. The saw is in excellent running conditon. The very tip of the off button snapped off the magnetic switch. This is primarily a cosmetic flaw and does not affect the switch or saw performance in anyway.

Attached picture is several years old - and shows a good looking piece of equipment.

This seems like something I should jump at -- I have the space and can wire for 220. Pick-up is local.

Questions:

1. Is this as attractive a deal as it seems? How much higher should I offer to pay if a negotiation ensues?

2. What additional information, if any, should I seek out before making an offer?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Ken

Mike Goetzke
03-31-2008, 9:07 AM
I don't think you can go wrong on this one. Check the usage history - cabinet shop. school, hobbyist...

I had a 22124 for about 9-months before I bought my Unisaw and under the hood it's like comparing a Mack truck to a Chevrolet.

Good Luck,

Mike

Maurice Ungaro
03-31-2008, 9:11 AM
Ken,
Welcome to the Creek! That is a nice price for a Uni in that condition. You'd get a good deal, particularly if that was a US made saw.

Greg Sznajdruk
03-31-2008, 9:14 AM
Grab your cheque book, run do not walk.

Greg

Ken Cohen
03-31-2008, 10:12 AM
Someone requested that I post the image of the saw. Note that it is not a current picture -- probably 2-3 years old.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Ken

Joe Chritz
03-31-2008, 11:43 AM
If it is in MI PM me the location and I'll grab the trailer.

I am holding out for a sawstop unless a really good deal comes along on a cabinet saw and that is a pretty good deal.

Joe

Ron Bontz
03-31-2008, 11:47 PM
If that saw is USA made I would definitely jump on it. I would be tempted to drive from St. Louis to MI. to get it. Good luck.

John Thompson
04-01-2008, 12:18 AM
Excellent deal... I picked up my factory re-conditioned for $999 but that was for a favor I did the dealer and I purchased an 8" jointer the same day. Re-co's go for around $1300-$1400 and used start at $650 to $900. That looks to be an exceptional used saw and it is a very fair price for you and the owner. Win... Win...

Good luck...

Sarge..

Andy Haney
04-01-2008, 7:36 AM
Ken,

I hope you have it already. If you don't want, let us know where it is. My bet is it won't (hasn't) lasted for long.

Andy

Ken Cohen
04-01-2008, 10:42 AM
Thanks to all for your advice and encouragement.

Turns out that others shared your view and the price moved up to $1100. While this was probably an OK deal for someone shopping for a cabinet saw, it was just a bit more than this particular hobbyist wanted to spend vs. a new hybrid.

So, I'm off to buy a new Jet ProShop, 22124 or Steel City. They all seem roughly the same (ignoring all the nitpicking about differences), so I'll look for the best price.

Maybe I was penny-wise, pound foolish -- but, the disciplined choice feels right (or, at least that is what I need to tell myself)