PDA

View Full Version : Scandinavian pattern resources

Steve Hamlin
03-31-2008, 7:47 AM
Hi folks
Ab initio on the carving front - perhaps appropriate for the new forum.

Watched Messrs. Pye & Cosman's DVDs the other day - fun, as I used to do a lot of caligraphy, so letter carving looks like a natural progression into the third dimension.

I've also a hankering to try my hand at gripping beast type relief carving.
Could anyone point me at resources for 1.) techniques that might be relevant and 2.) pattern books, or similar?

Thanks
Steve

(Oo - and thanks for opening this forum - good stuff)

mike holden
03-31-2008, 9:24 AM
Steve,
Not sure what your "scandinavian" header refers to, but Chris Pye's website has a wealth of carving information, lots of downloads, and newsletter.
Chris's books are another source of info.
For pattern books, try Dover books, their website lists many pattern books and has a couple samples of each. (patterns, NOT projects)
Mike

Steve Hamlin
03-31-2008, 12:57 PM
Oo, thanks for the site pointers, Mike. Will trot home and check them out.

The Scandinavian thing is the Norse gripping beasts - a bit like Celtic knotwork but with teeth and claws.

Bob Noles
03-31-2008, 4:17 PM
Steve,

Check out the books from Harley Refsal who is an expert in Scandinavian and flat plane carving. You can do a Googlr on his name and find a great deal of info.

Looking forward to the new carving forum here on SMC. Thanks Keith!

Steve Hamlin
04-01-2008, 8:47 AM
Thank you Bob, another great starting point.
Ordered some of Mr Pye's stuff yesterday, and looking at Dover and Harley Refsal resources.
Will post when I've made some progress (and no doubt when I get stuck along the way.)
Cheers
Steve

Garry McKinney
04-01-2008, 3:31 PM
Another great resourse of information is Lora Irish's site. www.carvingpatterns.com (http://www.carvingpatterns.com) Free patterns and instructional information for someone starting out.