PDA

View Full Version : Hotels in London and Paris?

Michael Ballent
03-24-2004, 9:58 PM
Heading to the other side of the big pond for vacation in May. We will be in London for 2 days and Paris for 1 then we are off for the rest of the vacation to Egypt :D (Tour). Any recommendations on hotels in either city?

Thanks,
Michael

Rick Burson
03-24-2004, 10:26 PM
Michael,
In Paris we stayed at the Hotel Troyon. It was about 2 blocks from the Arch de Triumph. I think it ran us around like $60 or $70 a night. We went through the USO and they booked it for us. London, dunno. Egypt, take me with you :D

Wish I could be of more help.

Have fun.

Rick

Wes Bischel
03-24-2004, 11:31 PM
Michael,

In Paris look into the Tim Hotel Le Louvre - it's a small hotel a block away from the Louvre that is affordable. It was recommended to us by a Parisian friend. The rooms are small - as are the bathrooms, but we weren't there to sit in the room. We stayed there about five years ago - so things may have changed. It's a great location for a quick run around town.

Wes

Address:

4, rue Croix des Petits-Champs
75001 Paris
Telephone 33 (0) 1 42 60 34 86

(My wife kept the brochure)

Mark Singer
03-25-2004, 12:35 AM
Michael,
In London I would stay at the Chesterfield...wonderful breakfasts are included and it is in Mayfair...a great location. In Paris there are many great choices...I like the Lenox on Universite...small, reasonable and in walking and Metro distance to everything (Louve, D'Orsey etc.). I often go to France for materials in Provence and Paris is a natural side trip.Enjoy it! There is a great open air market by Odeon with terrific food.

Michael Ballent
03-26-2004, 3:27 PM
Thank you all!!!

Jim Becker
03-26-2004, 5:58 PM
As far as Hotel accomodations, London is quite pricy. But I really enjoyed the room at the Tower Thistle Hotel next to the Tower of London two weeks ago. Tube stop across the street. The high speed Internet access was so good I was actualy able to use VoIP with no quality issues. Below is what I saw outside of my room...pic is right from the window!

Ian Barley
03-26-2004, 8:02 PM
Michael

Is this your first time in London? Any thoughts on what you want to do in the 2 days?

Jim's nomination (Tower Thistle) has great views and I have heard good things about it.

A bit more central (just off Picaddilly circus) is the Regent Palace Hotel (http://www.regentpalacehotel.co.uk/index.htm). This is a tourist grade hotel and many of the rooms have shared bath facilities but these have always been very well maintained in my experience. There are a number of refurbed rooms with private shower facilities. This is not the most luxurious hotel but it is clean, safe, affordable and as close to the centre of town as it is possible to get.

Hope this helps and if I can do anything else let me know.

regards

Ian