PDA

View Full Version : More hinge questions

Al Willits
03-30-2008, 9:47 PM
Considering right now I think hinges are the work of either the devil or Beasty and she says it ain't her.....:)

Guy at works seems to remember some sort of pin or little pointy thing that went into the hinge mounting holes and then you mounted the hinges on the cabinet door, you then put the cabinet door in place and gave it a little love tap and the pin (or whatever they are) would leave a little dimple on the frame, any of this make sense????

Al

Mark Singer
03-30-2008, 9:54 PM
a self centering drill bit works well!

http://www.ptreeusa.com/Peach%20Graphics/vix_bits.gif

Roger Ronas
03-30-2008, 9:55 PM
Seen this for drawer fronts. Haven't seen it for hinges though. Doesn't mean there ain't one like that though.

Roger

Al Willits
03-31-2008, 8:26 AM
""""""
a self centering drill bit works well!
"""""""

These were for locating the spots where the holes for the hinge needs to be drilled, a self centering drill bit won't work, not sure but I'm thinking these are no more than a 1/4" and prob less.

you mount the hinge on to the door, then with the little wizzits installed in the frame side hinge holes you insert the door where its suppose to be and tap the opposite edge from the hinge, this makes the wizzits put a small indent/mark on the frame...supposily. :)

Al

Bill Neely
04-01-2008, 1:13 AM
Sounds like a dowel center.

Dick Bringhurst
04-01-2008, 1:54 AM
Al, They used to make a self centering "punch". It Was much the same as the current day self centering drill bits but, you tapped it whth a hammer an got a centered mark as if you had used an awl. It was ok but the self centering bits now do the same thing and drill the hole. Dick B.

Al Willits
04-01-2008, 8:58 AM
OK, I see I'm not clear enough, sorry.
What I'm looking for is not to center the hole for the hinge screws, but the placement of the holes.

If you have the hinge located and screwed to the cabinet door, these will help find the placement of the hinge holes for the frame.
I'm using non mortising hinges btw, but I'd think it'd work for both.

With the hinges attached to the door the little thingies are inserted in the hinge screw holes that will attach to the frame, you place the cabinet door in the frame and center it, then giving the opposite side of the hinge from the frame a little tap, the thingies will leave a little dimple where the holes on the frame should go.

You can remove the cabinet door then and drill out the holes and install the door...

Hope that was a bit clearer.

I'm also wondering if a person couldn't just take a screw for the hinge and remove most of the threaded part leaving only a little that would stick out past the thickness of the hinge??
You could tape the screw in place maybe?

btw I want to thank Robert Meyer who sent me a very nice PM on how he installs hinges and will also give that a try and see how it goes.
Thanks Bob.

Al