PDA

View Full Version : Grain change?!?

Mark Kelly
03-24-2004, 9:20 PM
This evening, I was planing some red oak. It was about 24" long. About 6" from the end (planing towards this end) there was some pretty good tearout. I think it was due to grain change. I reversed planing just this end and it smoothed it out. However, there were "stop" marks between the two areas since I was planing each way. I figure I can just sand that down (since I don't have a smoother plane yet--only block, jack, fore and jointer).

Is there another way to go about doing this, or did I do the right thing?

Scott Quesnelle
03-25-2004, 12:09 PM
Sounds like it cleared up the tearout which is what matters.

You could sand the marks out.. or you could use a scraper and take them out, or sharpen the jack up, and take the absolute lightest passes you can on the board.

Saw Rob Cosman planing a month ago, and realized that I am taking a heavier cut that he was when doing the final stuff. Which explains the lunar landscape finish that I end with on my boards sometimes.

Light light cuts at the very end should help ya. Might want to close the mouth on the jack a little when you do this as well.

If you need a smoother post on the oldtools list and I'm sure someone will answer with a user grade plane that will do the job just fine.

Mark Kelly
03-25-2004, 12:26 PM
oldtools list? where is this?

maurice biddles
03-25-2004, 1:23 PM
oldtools list? where is this?

There maybe, probably is, more than one. Here is a link

http://denali.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu:8080/~cswingle/archive/index.phtml

maurice

Robert Goodwin
03-26-2004, 9:33 AM
I agree with the scraper being the tool of choice. It will make short work out of the start and stop marks. I still have to finish up with a little 220 sandpaper as my handplaning skills are not yet to the point where I can get completely smooth surface ( to the eyes ) with just planes.

Mark Kelly
03-26-2004, 9:52 AM
Speaking of scrapers, are there brand types that are better than others or are they all pretty much the same?

Robert Goodwin
03-26-2004, 2:18 PM
Speaking of scrapers, are there brand types that are better than others or are they all pretty much the same?

I have a couple of Sandvicks(sp?) but I don't know how much of a difference there is in the different vendors.

Scott Quesnelle
03-30-2004, 10:20 AM
Branding on scrapers doesn't really matter much.

Its much more dependant on proper preparation of the burr.

Hit google and do a search and you will get loads of info on filing, stoning and burnishing a scraper.

As for the oldtools list. Here is a link to the FAQ.
http://www.brendlers.net/oldtools/oldtools.html

Beware.. its a slippery slope.

Scott