PDA

View Full Version : Company Reorganizing.....

Dennis Peacock
03-24-2004, 8:05 PM
Well....the company I work for is reorganizing....AGAIN..!!!!!

I have made it through 2 other layoffs and now I am hearing that "they" are cutting 300 to 700 jobs by 1 April.....!!!! I guess I'll find out then and just after I come off call if I still have my job or not.

If you "think", "pray" or "meditate"....do so for me to keep the job I have. I can't afford another move and jobs around here are like trying to find Iceburgs in the middle of Saudi Arabia.!!!!!

Dan Bussiere
03-24-2004, 8:29 PM
Dennis,
Good luck! I will keep you and your family in our prayers. Let us know the outcome.
Dan

Tony Falotico
03-24-2004, 8:45 PM
Hang in there Dennis, I'll be praying for ya!

Tyler Howell
03-24-2004, 8:50 PM
Hey Neighbor! I got your back.

Jim Becker
03-24-2004, 9:02 PM
I hear you, Dennis, and wish you the best on this tough situation. My own company went from 34,000 folks in 2000 to about 13,000 today. That can be very scaryno matter how "valuable" you are, so I do understand your trepidation.

Hang in there!

Michael Perata
03-24-2004, 9:28 PM
...like trying to find Iceburgs in the middle of Saudi Arabia.!!!!!
Dennis

I have been where you are, and got the wrong answer to where will I work tomorrow.

But, remember, the Saudis were actually trying to tow icebergs to the desert, so don't dispair.

You'll always end up on your feet if you keep your balance, and never give up searching for a solution, even if it means towing icebergs to the desert.

Waymon Campbell
03-24-2004, 10:33 PM
Dennis - I feel your trepidation. I work for the Fortune 5000 number 2 company and we have gone thru major reductions in several waves as well. I'll keep you in my prayers as well.

Michael Ballent
03-24-2004, 11:01 PM
I know what you are going through... My company has been in perpetual down size mode for years going from 147,000 at the end of 2000 to 88,000 currently, and don't even get me started about the whole India thing... Hang in there bud
-Michael

John Miliunas
03-24-2004, 11:02 PM
Hang tough, Dennis! Hopefully, you'll make it through this one, as well. Just in case, though, I'll drop a line to the big BOSS, as well!

Boyd Gathwright
03-24-2004, 11:07 PM
Hi Dennis,

We will include you and the rest of your family in our prayers no matter where you are headed.

Boyd

I have made it through 2 other layoffs and now I am hearing that "they" are cutting 300 to 700 jobs by 1 April.....!!!! I guess I'll find out then and just after I come off call if I still have my job or not.

If you "think", "pray" or "meditate"....do so for me to keep the job I have. I can't afford another move and jobs around here are like trying to find Iceburgs in the middle of Saudi Arabia.!!!!!

Tom Pritchard
03-24-2004, 11:07 PM
Dennis, my prayers will be with you. I work for Eastman Kodak, and all we have done over the last few years is downsize. It gets to the point where you really begin to resent other people having such control over your destiny.

Keep the faith, and let us know how you make out.

Dennis Peacock
03-25-2004, 1:01 AM
Thanks to ALL of you for your encouragement and support. It really means a LOT to me right now to have my fellow WW'ers behind the scenes supporting someone that they have NEVER personally met.!! That alone say a <b>ton</b> to me and others as well.

I truly have a GREAT FAMILY here on SMC!!! :D

Hanging tough and holding to all the faith I can muster.

Dick Parr
03-25-2004, 6:28 AM
Hang in there Dennis, I know it's not easy. I had to move 6 times to keep a job and since moving here in 1987 I have gone through (11) layoffs at the plant and was lucky each time. I think we have lost close to 100,000 in the last 7 years worldwide.

Hang in there, you in our prayers.

Glenn Clabo
03-25-2004, 7:06 AM
Dennis,
Being overworked or the shadow of losing a job touches everyone these days. But your health leads the concern...I'm praying that the worry caused by this does no damage.

I'm also praying that someday people wake up before we are all flushed down the drain. What ever happened to taking care of the workers?

Jason Roehl
03-25-2004, 7:07 AM
Hey, Dennis, I'll be talking to the Big Guy on your behalf as well.

Kent Cori
03-25-2004, 9:50 AM
Dennis,

I too have said a word to the Man Upstairs on your behalf and have my fingers crossed too just to cover all the bases.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-25-2004, 11:17 AM
Dennis,

I've experienced the same thing 6 times in the last 10 years. I just missed an early retirement offering by being 5 months too young. Now they are offering transfers to some of the areas vacated by those early retirements. After those are or are not filled......the reductions will probably come. Hang in there! You'll be in my thoughts and prayers!

Ken

Charles McKinley
03-25-2004, 9:13 PM
Hi Dennis,

I will keep you and you family in my prayers.

Good luck

Bob Lasley
03-26-2004, 5:29 PM

Hey old buddy,

I don't do any of those three things very well, but for you I'll give all three a shot! For those of you who haven't met Dennis personally, I can tell you he is worth the effort.

Hang in there, you'll come through one way or another.

Bob

Ron Jones near Indy
03-26-2004, 7:15 PM
I'm praying for your job and your emotional well being during these times of uncertainty.

Randy Moore
03-27-2004, 9:49 AM
Dennis,
Being overworked or the shadow of losing a job touches everyone these days. But your health leads the concern...I'm praying that the worry caused by this does no damage.

I'm also praying that someday people wake up before we are all flushed down the drain. What ever happened to taking care of the workers?

The workers don't meananything anymorre. We are all just numbers, working meat or what-have-you. We are all used until we are no longer needed and then tossed to the side. That is one reason that I liken working for small companies. They do trey to take care of their employees and teir needs.

Dennis, I will be doi' a lot of praying for you and your family. Don't get down.
Randy

Tyler Howell
03-27-2004, 11:22 AM
[QUOTE=Randy Moore]The workers don't meananything anymorre. We are all just numbers, working meat or what-have-you. We are all used until we are no longer needed and then tossed to the side. That is one reason that I liken working for small companies. They do trey to take care of their employees and teir needs.
Randy the worker Bees are the company. All the innovation, ideas production, and success is from the rank and file. I'm not very high on the ladder but I know what's what. The decision makers don't know what's going on in the trenches.
I've made some "career limiting" decisions in support of my troops. But that’s OK! I'm short, bullet proof and have little interest in getting up there where little is accomplished and even less is known about operations.
Hang tough!

Dennis Peacock
03-27-2004, 8:00 PM
I used to work around a plumbing contractor that only had 5 employees. He did 40% of all plumbing work done in Madison County Alabama. I was talking with him one day and he said that he only "started" the company. My boys are the "real" company and without them, I have nothing to make money. I do my best to take care of each one of them and have them over for Thanksgiving Dinner and a Christmas party every year. Without THEM....I have NOTHING!!!

Now this man had it all together and would explain why he had great workers and always had a very good reputation for doing the work right. Praise and good treatment go a very long way. But I guess in corporate America......we can always say....

<b><i>The beatings will continue until moral improves.!!!!</i></b> :(

Bruce Page
03-27-2004, 10:19 PM
Dennis, I hope things go your way.

Greg Tatum
03-27-2004, 10:36 PM
I'll pray for you too....keep the faith.

Greg

John Miliunas
03-27-2004, 10:36 PM
There have been numerous remarks indicating the value of the lower-level workers and I couldn't agree more. It's funny, but in my situation, when the bosses are gone for some "conference" or on vacations, nobody seems to miss them and things run smoothly (usually more so!). Yet, when one of us is missing, these same bosses are scrambling trying to appease the clients because enough isn't getting done! At the same time, when the budget manure hits the oscillating blades, the FIRST ones considered to get cut are the "bees". Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, especially when the salary of one boss is enough to cover two, sometimes three other full-time positions! I *know* my boss couldn't do my job without many months of extensive training, if even then. Could I do *his* job? Well, maybe. Maybe if quit caring about the guys who work for me. Maybe if liked sitting through hours and hours of pointless meetings. Maybe if I chose to kiss butt of my next in line. I'm pretty darn sure I could do it if I decided to leave my brain at the door on the way into the office! Hmmmm...Maybe I *couldn't* do his job!

As already said, good luck and you're in my prayers, Dennis! Have faith...I think you'll be OK! :cool:

Boyd Gathwright
03-27-2004, 10:54 PM
You know John; the reason for all those hours of pointless meeting is because nobody knows what to do.

Boyd :rolleyes:

There have been numerous remarks indicating the value of the lower-level workers and I couldn't agree more. It's funny, but in my situation, when the bosses are gone for some "conference" or on vacations, nobody seems to miss them and things run smoothly (usually more so!). Yet, when one of us is missing, these same bosses are scrambling trying to appease the clients because enough isn't getting done! At the same time, when the budget manure hits the oscillating blades, the FIRST ones considered to get cut are the "bees". Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, especially when the salary of one boss is enough to cover two, sometimes three other full-time positions! I *know* my boss couldn't do my job without many months of extensive training, if even then. Could I do *his* job? Well, maybe. Maybe if quit caring about the guys who work for me. Maybe if liked sitting through hours and hours of pointless meetings. Maybe if I chose to kiss butt of my next in line. I'm pretty darn sure I could do it if I decided to leave my brain at the door on the way into the office! Hmmmm...Maybe I *couldn't* do his job!

As already said, good luck and you're in my prayers, Dennis! Have faith...I think you'll be OK! :cool:

John Miliunas
03-27-2004, 11:11 PM
You know John; the reason for all those hours of pointless meeting is because nobody knows what to do.

Boyd :rolleyes:

Amen to that, Boyd! In my outfit, it's really been a stitch to watch and somewhat painful to bear. The first reorg, we told them wouldn't work. It didn't. Then they started having meetings on why the reorg didn't work and how they should reorganize it again. Long story short, we are now about 14 months into the *third* reorg and it's still as messed up as ever! Funny thing: They never bother to invite any of the rank and file to their planning meetings! Ah, but that's why THEY get paid the big bucks! :cool:

Jeff Cybulski
03-28-2004, 8:58 PM
Dennis - I'm praying for you. Good Luck!

Jeff

Mike Wilkins
03-30-2004, 10:30 AM
I have been where you are now. Having to go through something like
this is nerve-wracking. Keep your sanity by woodworking, getting closer
to family and church, and the job search if it comes to that.

We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

John Weber
03-30-2004, 4:05 PM
Dennis.

I'll be hoping for the best. It has to suck! Hopefully everything will work out.

John

Jim Taylor
03-31-2004, 7:45 AM
Hi Dennis,

You will be in my families prayers as well. If you believe in the strength and help acheived through Prayer, you already have more than any job can offer...

That being said, it is sad to look through this thread and see the number of similar situations in the American work force. I have watched my company go from 12K to 2K, and as others have indicated, have little confidence in the managments ability to even understand the business. I am in high tech networking, unfortunately the future, in this industry, will continue to be at risk.

The simple pleasure of working with wood is very gratifying, especially as everything around us changes much faster than it should.

-Jim

Dennis Peacock
03-31-2004, 12:41 PM
Well....I have made it through the cuts so far...!!!! :D

We lost well over 210 folks and a few I worked with very closely. It's been a very tough and sad last 2 weeks and it's not over just yet.

If things go well...I'll still be working come mid April and then all will be clear until the next reduction.

Thanks to all of you for your support. It really means a LOT to me AND my family.

John Miliunas
03-31-2004, 1:05 PM
Whew! (Heavy sigh!) Glad you made it through this one, Dennis! :D At the same time, I hope your other friends and co-workers who weren't as fortunate, make it through the tough times ahead! :cool:

Dan Bussiere
03-31-2004, 2:02 PM
Dennis,
Ditto on what John said. We will continue to keep you and those who have lost their position in our prayers. The way things are going right now, prayer may be the only effective weapon we have left.
Dan

Ron Jones near Indy
03-31-2004, 5:56 PM
Not much else is necessary. Praying for the best for you and your family!

Terry Hatfield
04-02-2004, 9:17 AM
D,

I'm glad for ya man!!!! I still say you need to pack up Tracy and the kids, head up here to God's country and go to work for Wal-Mart. They sure aren't getting any smaller any time soon. :D

t

Glenn Clabo
04-02-2004, 2:39 PM
Deep breath from over here in RI....Now try to relax and not think of the next one.

Kent Cori
04-02-2004, 3:51 PM
Good news for you Dennis although I know it is bitter-sweet given the number of your friends who haven't been so fortunate. I've still got my fingers crossed for you.

Chris Padilla
04-02-2004, 6:04 PM
Geeez, nothing like job security, is there? Keep hanging tough, Dennis.