PDA

View Full Version : seeking advice on bandsaw resawing problem

Stephen Edwards
03-30-2008, 3:29 PM
I've just ordered and received the G0555X bandsaw. It's a is a hoss of a machine for the money and the size. ! I like it a lot. I took about 6-7 hours, taking my time, to put it together and familiarize myself with it. I also ordered and installed the riser block with it.
Once it was assembled and tuned....blade properly tracking, etc I did my first test on a piece of 8 inch wide scrap cedar. A perfect 1/8 slice.....then another. No problem. Then, I did the same thing with a piece of hard maple about 6 inches wide. I sliced a perfect 1/4 inch x 6 inch slice. No blade drift at all.
However, I do have one problem with it which needs to be solved. I sliced some 8 and 10 inch hardwood pieces. No drift at top and bottom of the cut. But, here's the problem: On those wider hardwood boards the blade bows in the center of the board. I'm using a 1/ 2 inch , 3tpi, positive claw Timberwolf blade. In other words, When I saw the board and get about 6-8 inches into the cut the blade begins to flex in the center of the board (to the right) away from the fence, which is to the left of the blade. The result is that on the board.....let's say an 8 inch hardwood board 2 feet long.....I set it up for a 1/4 inch slice. I end up with a slice that is 1/4 inch thick top and bottom the length of the cut. But in the middle of the board it is convexed to maybe 7/16 thick. It's as if the blade is hitting hard grain and following the grain rather than keeping straight up and down. The blade flexes in the center of the board.
On this 1/2 inch blade I set the tension to 3/4 on the tension scale. Maybe I need to get a 3/4 inch blade and one of those aftermarket tension springs that are advertised as being stronger. What are your thoughts on this? Again, there's absolutely no drift at the top and bottom of the board. The flex is in the center and I have the guide bearings lowered so that they just clear the top of the board as it's passing through the blade.
Any thoughts, tips, suggestions, etc would be appreciated. This is a fine machine and I want to solve this problem. Thank you.

David DeCristoforo
03-30-2008, 3:40 PM
This is, more often than not, an indication of insufficient tensioning. One would logically presume that a wider blade would solve the problem but you might have better luck with a narrower blade which will be easier to properly tension. So try a 3/8" blade and see if you get a better result with that.

YM

Lance Norris
03-30-2008, 4:46 PM
This is, more often than not, an indication of insufficient tensioning. One would logically presume that a wider blade would solve the problem but you might have better luck with a narrower blade which will be easier to properly tension. So try a 3/8" blade and see if you get a better result with that.

YM

I agree, this is usually caused by not enough tension. The 1/2 inch blade and tooth count is correct, and should give good results. If you have another blade, like Yoshikuni suggests, try it and see what happens. Your spring may be caplable of giving the proper tension, but your blade may be a bit too long. I have had brand new blades made for my saw(106") that were a touch too long. I had them cut and shortened and that fixed my problem. Dont assume that any blade is correctly made even from a good supplier like Timberwolf. If you have the same problems with several blades, then maybe one of the higher tension springs is in order.

Lance Norris
03-30-2008, 4:56 PM
Also... what is your feed rate? Keep in mind that maple and cedar are two completely different densities. You cant push the maple into the blade as fast as you would cedar. Take your time... maybe take 1 minute to resaw 8" of length and see what happens.

Stephen Edwards
03-30-2008, 8:27 PM
Thank you gentlemen for the advice. I have the 1/2 blade tensioned as tight as possible on the BS. The tension gauge is set at the 3/4 mark, after having tried it at the 1/2 inch mark. Same problem.

So, perhaps the solution is to either try a shorter blade or a narrower blade as suggested. I'll experiment until I get it right.

Oh, as for the feed rate, I haven't been pushing it.....taking my time and going slowly.

One more question, please: I know that the front edge of the roller guide bearings is supposed to be set just behind the gullets on the blade. Are they supposed to be firmly against the blade? If so, are we talking snug, tight or what?

Thanks again.

David DeCristoforo
03-30-2008, 8:50 PM
The blade should be an "easy slip fit" between the guide rollers. The rollers should be in contact with the blade but free to spin.

YM