PDA

View Full Version : Jet Mini Lathe Motor

Andy Hutyera
03-30-2008, 3:25 PM
Yesterday while doing a demo I managed to fry the motor on my Jet Mini Lathe. I know I can get a replacement from Jet at a cost with shipping of about $170. The motor has no NEMA identifier on the frame so I'm suspecting the motor may be a bastard configuration. I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a different hopefully more economical source for a replacement motor.

Bill Bolen
03-30-2008, 3:36 PM
Check PSI. They have a kit to convert 1014 to the vs model. The motor may work for you...Bill..

John Terefenko
03-30-2008, 3:59 PM
Andy

How do you know it is the motor?? The week link on those lathes is the capacitor and they have a tendency of frying. Maybe worth for someone to look at it.

Marvin Hasenak
03-30-2008, 5:13 PM
It maybe the capacitor but when I fried mine it was the motor and I went with the PSI variable speed. Cost around $110 with shipping, it seems to have a little less power than the original motor, but the variable speed makes up for the power loss. Took less than an hour to install.

Marvin

Andy Hutyera
03-30-2008, 8:45 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll look into the VS at PSI. I will take a look at the capacitor, but the motor got so hot you couldn't touch it.

Jim Underwood
03-31-2008, 11:10 AM
I'd certainly look at the capacitor too. I've fried one on a Jet Mini before, and the motor was fine. The motor will get hot without that capacitor. And the capacitor is a lot cheaper than the motor.

If you do buy a capacitor, call the order in rather than ordering it online. The shipping will be cheaper.... I learned that the hard way.

Andy Hutyera
03-31-2008, 11:48 AM
Jim,

Thanks, will do!

Andy Hutyera
04-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Jim & Marvin

Just thought I'd let you know I took the advice i got from both of you. Jim, it was the capacitor and I ordered it by phone. Marvin, i liked the idea of VS on the lathe so I ordered one and installed it. It works well and was simple to install. I now have a spare motor in case the VS conks out. Thanks to both of you!

Donn Morris
04-04-2008, 8:04 PM
Yesterday while doing a demo I managed to fry the motor on my Jet Mini Lathe. I know I can get a replacement from Jet at a cost with shipping of about $170. The motor has no NEMA identifier on the frame so I'm suspecting the motor may be a bastard configuration. I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a different hopefully more economical source for a replacement motor.
Check out Penn State Industries here (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/tclvskit.html) for variable speed motor designed for Jet.