PDA

View Full Version : Just How Slippery is this slope?

Sam Blanchard
03-30-2008, 3:08 PM
Got the OK from SWMBO :D and just pulled the trigger on a Domino/CT33 deal with Uncle Bob. Wanted to get in before the new prices hit. Sprang for the hose garage and a systainer of dominos. Figure I'm all set, except...should I worry about how fast I'm slidin' down this Festool slope? :confused:

Jack Gingerich
03-30-2008, 3:38 PM
Hi Sam,

One of the problems with Festool products is the quality. Once you see how well designed and constructed they are, it becomes easier to accept the $$$$. Aslo, when you get tired of stepping on or tripping over the vac hose, you might want to consider the boom arm, especially if you have mostly a stationary setup like I do. Long answer to your question, when I could have just said - "yes" :)

Jack

Tim Malyszko
03-30-2008, 4:02 PM
Festool is addicting. I too wanted to beat the price increase and bought the 150/3 and the CT-22. Since then, I've purchased 4 additional Festools. At least with Festool, you know that you are buying a tool that will last a lifetime and a tool that lives up to the hype.

Once one gets over the initial price shock, it becomes very easy to justify what you are paying for.

Jim Becker
03-30-2008, 5:15 PM
Slip-slidin' away...slip-slidin' away....dee dee dum dee.... :D

Michael Wildt
03-30-2008, 5:21 PM
For a 150/3 what kind of abrasives is recommended. It will primarily be finish sanding wood and between poleurethane coats.

Michael

David DeCristoforo
03-30-2008, 5:31 PM
Face it.... you're screwed for life now. By purchasing "the best" you have committed yourself to replacing all of your tools with tools of comparable quality. As to your "SWMBO", have you considered getting some knee pads? You're gonna need em.....

YM

Bruce Pennell
03-30-2008, 5:32 PM
Every time I think I am done, I find some excuse to get something new. Lately looking at the jig saw. Wasted my money on a Dewalt (Junk!!!) blade won't stay in. Time to pull the trigger I guess. I really get joy out of using my Festool tools. Quality and great dust collection. The slope is steep and very slippery, enjoy the ride you only live once. Have fun...Bruce

Tim Malyszko
03-30-2008, 5:37 PM
For a 150/3 what kind of abrasives is recommended. It will primarily be finish sanding wood and between poleurethane coats.

I use the Rubin up to 180 and then switch to brilliant. I still sand by hand using 0000 steel wool when knocking down poly between coats, but am too interested in what festool abrasive would be equivalent to the steel wool method.

Jack Gingerich
03-30-2008, 5:42 PM
Hi Bruce,

You might want to try on before you jump. Typically I use a jig saw to cut curvey stuff and found it very difficult to see where I was cutting due to the dust collection setup. It's typical outstanding quality, etc, and I'm sure not bashing Festool, but it didn't work for me - just my opinion........Jack

Bruce Pennell
03-30-2008, 5:45 PM
Tim I saw the Festool rep the other day at WW Source in Tucson and ask him about the same fine finishing. He recommended Plantin 1000, 2000, 4000, then finish with lambs wool pad. He said its best to experiment on scraps first. Remember to slow your sander down. Hope this helps. He did say if you ask 10 people finishing questions you will get 10 different answers. Good Luck its all personal taste.

Tim Malyszko
03-30-2008, 5:47 PM
Thanks Bruce. I'll give it a try.

Daniel Parker
03-30-2008, 5:55 PM
Does anyone know how much the domino is going up in price?

Bruce Pennell
03-30-2008, 5:55 PM
Thanks Jack I'm torn between Bosch and Festool on the jigsaw question. Thats why I haven't jumped yet. Vision is the biggest complaint I've seen about the Festool jig saws. Some have adopted LED lights on the front of their saws.?????Not sure which way I'll go. I really don't use a jigsaw very often. Probably because the Dewalt is a piece of junk. Seems like the Bosch and the Festool always get good reviews, and with Festools 30 day money back policy, its not to big of deal if I don't like it. Good tools and good return policies.

Bruce Pennell
03-30-2008, 6:04 PM
Yes Daniel $50 price increase. Here's the list from McFeely's (http://www.mcfeelys.com/info/festool-alert.htm)
that will give you all the price increases.

James Hart
03-30-2008, 8:58 PM
About 6 weeks ago, I lucked into a used CT22, 150/3 and a jigsaw. Since then, I've picked up a Domino, TS 55, Boom arm, and an OF 1400, plus a bunch of other accessories. It's pretty much making me re-think everything.

Jim

Jesse Cloud
03-30-2008, 9:13 PM
Not only is the slope slippery, but no one has ever reached the bottom:eek::eek: